Closing Date: 22nd November, 2023
Description:The New York City Housing Authority Law Department's Contracts Division seeks to hire an Agency Attorney I. Under the direction and supervision of the Deputy General Counsel and/or Chief of the Contracts Division, with a degree of latitude for independent judgment, the attorney will perform transactional legal work covering a broad array of subject matters, including, but not limited to, construction, finance and IT related matters.
The selected candidate will work on difficult and complex transactional work handled by the Division, having significant financial, procedural or policy consequences. The attorney will also assist with corporate governance matters handled by the Division. The attorney will draft and negotiate contracts for the Authority, review requests for proposals, assist the unit in reviewing prelitigation construction claims, perform legal research on questions related to the Division's work, and complete other work as assigned by the Division's Deputy General Counsel and Chief.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Draft, negotiate and/or review contracts, solicitations, requests for proposals, board resolutions and opinions of counsel.
- Perform legal research and advise on questions raised by program based on federal regulations, state law and NYCHA's contract procedure regulation.
- Analyze prelitigation construction claims.
Note: The selected candidate will be required to maintain confidentiality regarding all NYCHA proceedings. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Resume and cover letter must also include bar admission date(s) (month and year). Candidates must also provide two writing samples representing the candidate's efforts, not those of a reviewer; three references, listing their professional association and the circumstances under which they became familiar with the candidate's professional skills; a copy of law school transcript; current and/or minimum salary requirements.
- For NYCHA employees: employees applying for promotional, title or level change opportunities must have served a period of one year at current location and in current title and level (if applicable).
- NYCHA residents are encouraged to apply.
Please read this posting carefully to make certain you meet the qualification requirements before applying to this position.
- Admission to the New York State Bar; and either "2" or "3" below.
- One year of satisfactory United States legal experience subsequent to admission to any state bar; or
- Six months of satisfactory service as an Agency Attorney Interne (30086).
Incumbents must remain Members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of this employment.
In addition to meeting the minimum Qualification Requirements:To be assigned to Assignment Level (AL) II, candidates must have one year of experience at Assignment Level I or two years of comparable legal experience subsequent to admission to the bar, in the areas of law related to the assignment. To be assigned to AL III candidates must have two years of experience in Assignment Levels I and/or II or three years of comparable legal experience subsequent to admission to the bar, in the areas of law related to the assignment.
- A critical and strategic thinker with excellent drafting skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
NYCHA has no residency requirements.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.