Description:Imagine a career at one of the nation's most advanced health networks.
Be part of an exceptional health care experience. Join the inspired, passionate team at Lehigh Valley Health Network, a nationally recognized, forward-thinking organization offering plenty of opportunity to do great work.
LVHN has been ranked among the "Best Hospitals" by U.S. News & World Report for 23 consecutive years. We're a Magnet(tm) Hospital, having been honored five times with the American Nurses Credentialing Center's prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and quality patient outcomes in our Lehigh Valley region. Finally, Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest, Lehigh Valley Hospital - Muhlenberg, Lehigh Valley Hospital- Hazleton, and Lehigh Valley Hospital - Pocono each received an 'A' grade on the Hospital Safety Grade from The Leapfrog Group in 2020, the highest grade in patient safety. These recognitions highlight LVHN's commitment to teamwork, compassion, and technology with an unrelenting focus on delivering the best health care possible every day.
Whether you're considering your next career move or your first, you should consider Lehigh Valley Health Network.
Job Summary:Lehigh Valley Health Network, Inc. (“LVHN”), a nationally recognized, nonprofit comprehensive integrated health system based in Eastern Pennsylvania, seeks an experienced healthcare attorney to join and help lead its growing corporate legal team. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”), the Vice President, Associate General Counsel – Health Services (“Associate GC”) will collaborate closely with the CLO, other members of the legal department, and LVHN's business and corporate service teams. The Associate GC will serve as a trusted business partner and problem solver on a wide range of strategic, operational, corporate and compliance matters, with a particular focus on supporting LVHN's health services delivery division, including numerous hospital campuses, health centers, rehabilitation locations, ExpressCARE sites, and other outpatient care locations. The Associate GC position also includes membership on LVHN's Network Leadership Council.
As a senior member of the LVHN legal team, the Associate GC will help lead the fast-paced and wide-ranging legal services and affairs of LVHN and its affiliates. The Associate GC will report to the CLO, who joined in LVHN in 2021 after holding a senior legal executive role with another nationally recognized nonprofit health system.
Working closely with all levels of management, the Associate GC will play an integral leadership role in advising on a wide variety of strategic, regulatory, and other matters and activities arising at LVHN, and serve as a critical business partner to support business operations and clinical care delivery. The Associate GC position will have dotted-line accountability to the LVHN System Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) and serve as the primary legal business partner for LVHN's senior leadership team responsible for LVHN's hospital and ambulatory care operations.
Essential Functions / Primary Responsibilities:
- Work with LVHN Legal Department and outside counsel to collectively address the full range of legal issues arising at LVHN, including areas of regulatory and reimbursement, fraud and abuse, payer contracting, corporate transactions, governance, real estate, investigations, licensing, tax, financing.
- Serve as a key senior business partner to LVHN – including principally the LVHN COO and senior management responsible for LVHN's hospital and ambulatory care operations – to help drive it forward and deliver business results by helping craft strategy, develop plans, and execute. This position must collaborate enthusiastically and find ways to solve (or, better, avoid) problems that could impede the business's progress.
- Work collaboratively with other corporate service divisions, including the Compliance and, to provide guidance to ensure organizational compliance with all applicable laws and regulatory requirements in a complex healthcare environment.
- Draft, review, negotiate and make recommendations on a wide variety of proposed contracts, which comply with all legal requirements.
- Advise on and prepare corporate governance documents, including corporate resolutions, Board materials, and related documentation, and attend certain LVHN subsidiary Board meetings.
- Help develop and lead Legal Department team members, as well as enhance legal department operational processes, activities, and technology tools to serve LVHN more efficiently by applying business and technical practices to the delivery of legal services.
- Work closely with LVHN colleagues across all functions of the organization, providing guidance to align efforts, improve decision-making by departments, reduce risks, improve quality outcomes, and support healthcare operations.
- Provide outstanding service to all customers, foster teamwork, and practice fiscal responsibility through improvement and innovation.
Education - Required:
- Juris Doctor from ABA approved law school
- Actively licensed in good standing to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction with the ability to become licensed in Pennsylvania
Experience - Required:
5 years experience in the practice of law in applicable areas.
Experience - Preferred:
- 7+ years of healthcare law experience preferred.
- In-house experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities - Required:
- Positive attitude, empathy, and proven track record of building positive relationships across large, fast-paced, and high-growth environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a high level of emotional intelligence and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and a self-starter with the ability to use initiative and discretion to accomplish assignments with moderate supervision and ability to juggle multiple projects
Licensure - Required:
Attorney in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Upon Hire