Description:The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in August 2007 and works across the South. Our mission is to promote justice by partnering with communities of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic rights. SCSJ's focus areas are community-driven, and currently include voting rights, justice system reform, youth justice, and environmental justice. Our model of practice requires team members who work well with grassroots organizations and in collaboration with other civil rights groups, and who have deep passion for and commitment to fighting for inclusive political participation.
For more information about our work and our unique community lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
SCSJ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, personal appearance, marital or family status, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, natural hair styles, or other status as protected by State and Federal laws. It is our intention to promote the full realization of equality in opportunity and employment.
Gearing up for the 2024 election cycle and multiple redistricting trials across the South stemming from the 2021 redistricting cycle, SCSJ has an immediate opening for a licensed attorney with trial-level civil litigation and briefing experience.
- Assuming second or third chair responsibilities in SCSJ Voting Rights cases, including strategizing the case and its litigation, working with lead counsel in each case to ensure efficient coverage of duties (such as drafting briefs, working with experts, engaging in discovery, participating in depositions, hearings and trials), and communicating effectively with SCSJ team members, co-counsel, and clients about the case
- Representing SCSJ in advocacy and informational communications and meetings with local-level governmental entities, including county boards of election
- Assisting Chief and Senior Counsel in identifying new partners and potential cases to expand or protect voting rights
- Representing SCSJ in community education events and public speaking engagements that raise the profile of SCSJ and increase awareness of attacks on democratic processes
- Occasionally representing SCSJ in attendance at significant voting rights gatherings and other coalitional spaces in order to raise our profile, discuss our work, and collaborate with partner organizations
- Contributing to the perpetuation of good practice management habits
- JD from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina, or ability to waive in promptly
- Trial and appellate-level briefing experience
- Ability to be self-reliant, self-directed, and highly efficient; to independently resolve problems; to communicate clearly as part of a team of lawyers and non-lawyers; and to take responsibility for multiple cases at a time
- Strong team player
- Commitment to social justice principles and to SCSJ's community-lawyering model of practice
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Respect for differences in race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socioeconomic background
- Two to four years of legal experience (candidates with more experience will be considered); preference experience in complex civil litigation, with substantial motion and discovery practice, well-developed legal research and writing skills, and appearances in civil proceedings in state and/or federal court
- Experience with voting rights, civil rights, social justice litigation, administrative proceedings, and/or community organizing is a plus
Salary and benefits:
The VR Counsel salary is $65,000 a year and includes comprehensive health and retirement benefits.
SCSJ's office is located in Durham, North Carolina. SCSJ is currently operating remotely, but we anticipate returning to in-office work in summer 2023.