Description:Who We Are Looking For:
The asset management industry is evolving. Clients need more than products; they need a trusted partner and advisor to help them achieve their goals. The State Street Global Advisors Legal Department endeavors to provide strategic advice and counsel to its business and control colleagues in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity and ethical leadership. We partner closely with these teams to find strategic solutions for our clients and contribute to the overall success of the firm. We are seeking a senior attorney who can excel in this environment and help others on their team to do the same. In this role, you will be responsible for providing practical and actionable legal advice and counsel on a variety of laws and regulations in connection with our investment management business, including with respect to the securities laws and ERISA as may be applicable to a variety of products and services, including unregistered funds as well as institutional separately managed accounts.
To be successful, you will develop a deep understanding of the firm's investment and operational capabilities, service offerings, culture and vision, regulatory and supervisory landscape in order to serve as a trusted advisor to your business and control partners, and efficiently identify, diagnose and help to address complex legal issues. You will need to build and maintain collaborative relationships with key internal teams, including management and senior executive business leaders, risk and compliance executives.
What You Will Be Responsible for
As Vice President and Legal Counsel you will be responsible for providing practical and actionable legal advice and counsel with respect to our investment management business
This Will Include:
- Drafting and preparing unregistered fund governing and disclosure documents
- Negotiating agreements with external counterparties
- Analyzing proposed and new regulatory developments impacting State Street Global Advisors and its products
- Providing advice and counsel to the State Street Global Advisors business and compliance teams regarding Investment Advisers Act, ERISA and other applicable regulatory requirements
- Reviewing marketing materials related to marketing of State Street Global Advisors and its products
What we value:
These Skills Will Help You Succeed in This Role
- A strong understanding of investment strategies and U.S. registered funds
- The ability to evaluate legal, financial, regulatory and reputational risk and escalate to executive management as needed
- Strong communication (written and verbal), client service and collaboration skills
- Strong research, time management, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a global, dynamic and team-oriented environment
- Proven ability to interact with and advise multiple businesses and coordinate with legal colleagues in other jurisdictions and business areas on related areas of law or conflicts of law matters
- Prior experience interfacing with regulatory personnel
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- 4-10 years of experience in investment management practice, at either a law firm or the legal department of a financial services company, preferably both
- Strong academic credentials
- JD from an accredited law school
- License to practice in work location
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers
$165,000 - $225,000 Annual
The range quoted above applies to the role in the primary location specified. If the candidate would ultimately work outside of the primary location above, the applicable range could differ.