Purpose of Job
Let’s do something that really matters.
At USAA, we have an important mission: facilitating the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. Not all of our employees served in our nation’s military, but we all share in the mission to give back to those who did. We’re working as one to build a great experience and make a real impact for our members.
We believe in our core values of honesty, integrity, loyalty and service. They’re what guides everything we do – from how we treat our members to how we treat each other. Come be a part of what makes us so special!
We are seeking two dedicated Trial Attorney for our Atlanta, GA USAA staff counsel law office location.
USAA values a work culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds – collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual days onsite are settled between each employee and the employee’s manager.
In this position, you will provide legal representation to USAA members, insured clients, and USAA entities in all phases of civil litigation and legal proceedings pertaining to Property and Casualty covered losses.
What you'll do:
- Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensure risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follow written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Independently manages caseload of simple to moderate Property and Casualty insurance defense cases through arbitration, trial, and possible appeal for clients on cases assigned.
- May handle and/or assist with complex litigation cases.
- Appears in court as required, including arbitrations, trials, and mediations.
- Provides legal advice to clients and P&C Claims team members. Develops, and implements legal strategy and ongoing budget projections to Claims Litigation, and clients, as appropriate on assigned cases.
- Prepares legal pleadings, motions, statements, memoranda, trial briefs and other legal documents on assigned cases.
- Conducts direct settlement negotiations with plaintiffs' attorneys.
- Stays current on all relevant statutes, case law, office, and trial-related technology. Attends courses as assigned to maintain appropriate skill sets for trial.
- Provides training to support staff, P&C Claims and Claims Litigation regarding changes in law, litigation and/or and other processes.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- 6 years of experience practicing law handling personal injury or civil litigation or trial cases.
- Licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction(s) to be served.
- Experience practicing law in the court systems within the geographic area being served.
- Ability to perform online legal research.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
What sets you apart:
- Six plus years handling personal injury/property damage cases within a staff counsel setting.
- Experience preparing reports and memos for Claims including initial case analysis, discovery and deposition reports, and trial reports and strategy.
- Heavy trial experience, including verdicts, in Georgia Courts
- Insurance defense Counsel experience
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
What we offer:
Compensation: USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market data of the position. The actual salary for this role may vary by location. The salary range for this position is: $104.660.00 - $199,970.00.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance and at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Benefits: At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
For more details on our outstanding benefits, please visit our benefits page on USAAjobs.com.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.