The General Counsel for Rochester Regional Health (RRH) is responsible for managing the legal function of the health system and its affiliates. The General Counsel provides advice on all legal matters involving the health system and its affiliates, including but not limited to facility licensure, business transactions, corporate governance, tax issues, regulatory, employment matters, compliance, privacy, antitrust matters and Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
Direct Reports to the General Counsel include the following:
- Assistant General Counsel
- Vice President of Insurance and Risk Management
- SVP, Chief Audit, Compliance & Privacy Officer
- Administrative Assistant
- Juris Doctorate from accredited law school and admitted to practice law in New York State required
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in progressive management roles overseeing legal functions required
- Minimum of 10 years of professional legal experience in a healthcare environment required
- In-depth knowledge of legislative, regulatory, and judicial issues that affect the health care community on state and federal levels
- Strong public speaking and writing skills, including the ability to clearly describe complex issues
- Ability to handle detailed, complex concepts/problems and make decisions regarding legal issues
- Proven ability to develop a high performing team
- High level of emotional intelligence, excellent interpersonal skills; ability to make sound judgments
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Effective leadership, facilitation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle multiple competing demands and prioritize workload
Legal Advice. Provide expert and strategic legal advice to senior leadership team on all legal matters involving the health system and its affiliates, including but not limited to facility licensure, business transactions, corporate governance, tax issues, regulatory, employment matters, compliance, privacy, antitrust matters and Medicare and Medicaid regulations. Advise senior leadership team on recent changes in laws and regulations that affect the health system and its affiliates.
Leadership & Strategy. Manage and supervise a team of legal staff providing guidance, training and mentoring as needed. Manage the use of outside counsel. Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically. Advise senior leadership team regarding the legal implications of their operational activities to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Partnership & Ethics. Ensure that the legal affairs of RRH are conducted in an ethical and professional manner, consistent with the healthcare systems values and mission. Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with RRH leadership, outside agencies, government entities, law firms and other stakeholders. Provide guidance on law matters where appropriate system-wide.
Litigation. Responsibility for management of all litigation involving the health system and its affiliates. Protect the health system and its affiliates' rights in contract negotiations, litigation and settlements. Develop and maintain required corporate documents, including articles, bylaws, policies, licenses
Risk Management. Management of two captive insurance companies – medical malpractice insurance for private physicians and medical malpractice insurance for employed physicians.
Governance. Serves as the Assistant Secretary of the Board. Responsible for Audit, Compliance and Privacy.
Physical Requirements S - Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Rochester Regional Health is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran