About the Role
The Supervising Attorney will be joining a group of exceptional public interest attorneys to directly impact the lives of immigrant children looking for safety and security. The Supervising Attorney will supervise a team of attorneys and a paralegal in providing legal representation in immigration and other related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and other forms of immigration relief. The Supervising Attorney will also mentor pro bono attorneys doing similar work and will participate in the leadership of Safe Passage Project.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supervise and manage a team of attorneys and a paralegal representing minors in removal proceedings before the Executive Offices for Immigration Review (EOIR) in New York, Asylum Office, USCIS, and Family Court
- Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys representing minors in similar proceedings
- Collaborate with Senior Staff in the analysis and creation of legal strategies;
- Contribute to the creation of policies and strategies for Safe Passage Project;
- Supervise and provide detailed reporting statistics on each case mentored and represented directly
- Prepare trainings and materials to present at Safe Passage Project trainings.
Qualifications: The strongest candidates for this position will have most, though likely not all, of the following qualifications and characteristics:
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar (required);
- Four (4) or more years of experience as an attorney, including three (3) or more years of experience in immigration law;
- Interest in management and developing management skills to further the organization's mission;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment;
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational, and time management skills;
- Spanish language skills (preferred);
- Experience working with children;
- Experience working with diverse communities;
- A commitment to the work of Safe Passage Project and readiness to grow and learn with the Safe Passage Project team.