Description:This position will primarily operate out of the Finger Lakes Region in Rochester, NY.
Reporting to the Supervising Attorney, the ONA Staff Attorney will assist in carrying out ONA grant objectives and will work to advance the mission of Journey's End Refugee Services. ONA Staff Attorney will provide outreach, direct immigration legal services, legal clinics, legal consultation days, community information sessions, Know Your Rights presentations, referrals, and technical legal assistance to ONA Opportunity Centers and other organizations across the counties of the Finger Lake. The Finger Lakes ONA Region covers Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Seneca, Yates, and Wayne counties. This position will primarily operate out of the Rochester, NY Satellite Office.
The ONA Staff Attorney must exemplify Journey's End's core values in their work. These values include intercultural responsiveness, integrity, person-centered, empowerment, and exemplary service.
- Provide direct affirmative and defensive immigration legal representation to the immigrant populations of the Finger Lakes.
- Develop, sustain, and grow meaningful partnerships with local community groups to organize and host events.
- Organize and attend legal consultation days, legal clinics, community information sessions, and Know Your Rights presentations at ONA Opportunity Centers and partner agencies across the Finger Lakes.
- Respond to immigration law questions from ONA Opportunity Centers, other immigrant service providers, and individuals in need of immigration assistance in the region.
- Develop and distribute a list of resources for referrals on programs and services available to new Americans.
- Conduct widespread community outreach and coordinate with other ONA projects, including participation in monthly New York State Department of State/ONA webinars.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be admitted and remain in good standing of the bar of the highest court of any state in the country or U.S. territory
- Be able and willing to travel extensively to all counties throughout the Finger Lakes
- Be able and willing to travel to Journey's End's office in Buffalo, NY for mandatory staff training and events, and when necessary as part of client representation or as required by supervisor
- Possess ability to be part of a dedicated team of talented individuals
- Possess strong communication (written and oral) and advocacy skills
This is a full time and salaried position. Benefits and retirement package are included. Candidates that have experience as an attorney, immigration law experience, and/or the ability to communicate in a language other than English are preferred.
Journey's End Refugee Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ the best qualified personnel without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, gender identity, marital status, or any other reason prohibited by law.