The Westside Justice Center is a holistic Legal Aid clinic dedicated to eradicating barriers to justice, mitigating the consequences of criminalized communities and uplifting authentic community leadership. Founded in 2015, by a group of attorneys, community leaders and legal advocates, the Westside Justice Center (WJC) seeks to empower and re-power individuals and communities to demand and attain accountability and greater access to systems of justice.
Our staff collaboratively mitigate the consequences of incarceration on criminalized communities by
- Facilitating legal literacy to reduce recidivism
- Providing legal and quasi- legal assistance to individuals
- Establishing and nurturing community trust through participatory deliberations and restorative justice practices
We are seeking likeminded individuals to join us as Staff Attorneys.
Our Staff Attorneys combine direct representation, outreach, education, organizing and advocacy in service of community members.
Staff Attorney essential duties/responsibilities include
- Provide legal representation, legal counsel, and referrals to eligible clients in a wide range of practice areas
- Coordinate on-site legal clinics and intakes
- Engage in impact litigation, administrative, and legislative advocacy
- Assist in supervision and support of paralegals, interns, and volunteer attorneys
- Prepare periodic reports for internal and external purposes
- Provide legal consultation
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteer attorneys
- Collaborate with partner organizations for training and outreach presentations
- Plan, implement and document outreach and training programs
Successful Candidates will possess
- License to practice law in Illinois or eligibility to become licensed within 6 months of hire
- Excellent client interviewing skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and presentation skills
- Proven ability to explain complex legal situations compassionately and effectively to people in crisis
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both in writing and orally, to a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to prioritize work
- Skilled in project management
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, self-directed environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as a member of a team
- Strong organizational skills and proven attention to detail
- Cultural Competency
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Benefits while working with us
- Community impact
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
The work environment described here is representative of that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to spend extended time working on a computer
- Occasional need for local travel
- WJC supports all CDC COVID-19 safety guidelines
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties, requirements, or responsibilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
The Westside Justice Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQI-GNC people, and formerly incarcerated people are strongly encouraged to apply.