Closing Date: 18th August, 2022
Description:The Loudoun County Circuit Court is seeking candidates for a staff attorney who will provide legal support for the Circuit Court Judges. The staff attorney completes legal research and writes memoranda of law, prepares case related information, reviews documents, motions, and evidence; and assists judges in drafting legal orders and opinions.
The candidate will have an ability to draft legal memoranda and opinions, which should include the background and procedural history of each case; arguments of both parties, preliminary issues regarding procedure, notice, or jurisdiction; and analysis of legal authority cited by each party. On occasion, the candidate may attend court proceedings and make notes for the judge of key items that may assist the judge in forming opinions. The candidate may also complete special projects as directed by the judges.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of Virginia Law and local ordinances.
- Familiarity with Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court, and Virginia Court practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Rules of Evidence and the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Knowledge of various legal research tools.
- Skills in legal research and writing.
- An ability to analyze complex problems and situations; and an ability to communicate ideas clearly, concisely, and effectively, both written and verbally.
- An ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with fellow employees, county officials, other attorneys, judges, and the public.
- Salary Commensurate with Experience
Must have a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school (or equivalent as state law provides) and must be licensed to practice law in Virginia or eligible for licensure. Must be a member in good standing with the Virginia State Bar, (or have the ability to obtain a waiver of admission within a reasonable amount of time, but not to exceed four months). Must maintain license to practice law in accordance with Virginia law.
Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check. Please attach a resume with the application. Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to provide a writing sample of no less than five pages.