Closing Date: 6th June, 2023
Description:The Criminal Appeals Division of the Office of the Solicitor General operates within Kentucky's Office of Attorney General. It is the premiere law enforcement agency that is responsible for representing the Commonwealth of Kentucky in all criminal appeals wherein the defendant challenges his or her felony conviction and sentence.
The Division is seeking candidates for a Staff Attorney I position to research and draft legal documents in response to challenges filed in state and federal courts.
Job Duties include:
- Performing case-related research
- Drafting briefs for state and federal appellate courts
- Working with a team of other lawyers
- Participating on moot court panels
The ideal candidate would possess the following skill set:
- Basic understanding of the criminal justice system
- Ability to display attention to detail
- Good communication and advocacy skills
- Able to work under pressure
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Educcation: See Special Requirements.
- Experience, Training, Or Skills: None
- Substitute Education for Experience: None
- Substitute Experience for Education: None
Special Requirements (Age, Licensure, Regulation, Etc.): Must be admitted to practice law and in good standing in the Commonwealth of Kentucky OR comply with Kentucky Supreme Court Rule (SCR) 2.111 (limited certification of admission to practice), SCR 2.112 (attorney participants in defender or legal services programs), SCR 2.116 (supervised practice), or SCR 2.117 (practice pending admission). Must maintain any required licensure(s), certification(s), or other credentials for the length of employment in this classification. Employing agency is responsible for ensuring employee possesses and maintains required licensure(s), certification(s) or other credentials.
Working Conditions - Duties are performed primarily in both office and courtroom settings. Travel is required.
Probationary Period - This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Laura Price at Laura.Price@ky.gov or 502-696-5660.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D