Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community improve their lives
Position: Staff Attorney
Locations: 20 Snyder Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11226
56 Bay Street Staten Island, NY, 10304
241 Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11232
What the Staff Attorney Does:
- Represent clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government.
- Conduct client intake and assessment of client cases.
- Provide advice and counsel in foreclosure litigation.
- Interview clients and witnesses, as appropriate, in preparation for litigation and/or court proceedings.
- Prepare legal documents, conduct legal research, negotiate work outs, etc. in foreclosure, consumer and housing proceedings.
- Advise clients of their rights, laws, rulings, and regulations applicable to their case.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to institute legal action on clients’ behalf.
- Develop legal strategies, arguments, and testimonies in preparation for presentation of cases for trials, hearings, and oral arguments.
- File motions, briefs, pleadings, legal memos, and appeals with court clerk.
- Research and interpret laws, rulings, and regulations as they relate to clients' cases.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
Juris Doctor (J.D.) + Licensed to practice law in NY State
- Must be in good standing with NY State Bar
- Knowledge of, and experience in, foreclosure and housing law preferred
- Ability to analyze complex rent/mortgage breakdowns to determine proper amount of rent owed
- Ability to converse with clients in a language other than English preferred (Haitian/Creole, French, Spanish, Russian, etc.)
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.