Forward Justice is a nonpartisan law, policy, and strategy center dedicated to advancing racial, social, and economic justice in the U.S. South. We serve as a strategic partner for nonprofit organizations, coalitions, and networks at the forefront of movements organizing for a more just, equitable, and free South. Our work catalyzes tangible success for movements and expands democratic opportunities for people and communities affected by injustice.
Forward Justice is seeking a detail-oriented senior staff attorney with at least five (5) years of relevant experience to assist with all aspects of legal advocacy and litigation, including legal research, factual investigations, drafting of memoranda, complaints, discovery materials, briefs, pleadings, and other documents. The successful candidate will be able to multi-task and maintain a high level of organization in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate will have an unwavering commitment to excellence, a deep analysis of the intersectional issues relating to racial justice and democracy, economic justice and criminal justice, a commitment to using the law to develop creative strategies toward movement-building goals, and a keen interest in Forward Justice’s mission. The focus of the position may change as warranted by changes in the law, circumstances in Southern states where Forward Justice works, or the needs of the organization.
- Litigation, legal, and campaign support under supervision of the Senior Litigation Manager.
- Research legal and policy analysis related to democracy, economic justice, criminal justice and other racial justice issues.
- Draft complaints, briefs, motions, memos, reports and other documents in support of litigation and policy work.
- Perform legal research, design litigation strategy, draft legal documents, and maintain legal calendaring.
- Communicate regularly with Forward Justice’s clients, co-counsel, advocacy and partner organizations.
- Policy responsibilities may include analyzing law, preparing advocacy materials, assisting in organizing and grassroots campaign strategies.
- Supervise outreach activities related to cases and campaigns.
- Supervise, mentor, and manage the legal work and related tasks of team members, law fellows, interns, and outreach paralegals.
- Represent Forward Justice in various forums, including before community groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Case development, including the ability to manage and collaborate with national, state and local advocacy organizations, other litigators and co-counsel.
- Excellent legal research and writing, consistent attention to detail and the ability to manage, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Enthusiastic self-starter, with strong project management skills and the ability to multi-task at a high level.
- Aptitude for and willingness to be a team player.
- Initiative, vision, and a proven commitment to the struggle for racial justice.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills, follow-through and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work on several campaigns at once in conjunction with other staff.
- Strong communication skills and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups of partners.
- J.D. degree; admitted to practice law. Preference for North Carolina barred attorney.
- Five plus years of experience.
- Superb legal research, writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, active listening and communication skills.
- A high level of independence, initiative, creativity, and good judgement.
- Commitment to Forward Justice’s mission, vision, and values.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in the Triangle Area with competitive salary and benefits based on experience. Forward Justice is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from those who will enhance our staff diversity. Women, people of color, directly-impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.