Closing Date: 6th July, 2022
The Director position is in the Office of the Advocate for Small Business Capital Formation (OASB) located in Washington, DC and is open to all U.S. Citizens, with the exception of current SEC employees.
If selected, you will serve as the Advocate for Small Business Capital Formation, Office of Small Business Capital Formation.
Typical duties include:
- Assisting small businesses and small business investors in resolving problems with the SEC or self-regulatory organizations
- Conducting outreach to small businesses and small business investors to solicit views on relevant capital formation issues.
- Analyzing the potential impact of proposed rules changes and regulations on small businesses and small business investors.
- Identifying problems that investors have when investing in small businesses, including any unique challenges for minority and women investors. Identifying areas where such investors would benefit from changes to SEC or self-regulatory organization rules.
- Identifying problems that small businesses have with securing access to capital, including any unique challenges to minority-owned and women-owned small businesses. Identifying areas where such businesses would benefit from changes to SEC or self-regulatory organization rules
- Proposing to the Commission changes in SEC regulations or orders. Proposing to Congress changes that would mitigate problems identified and promoting the interests of small businesses and small business investors.
- Promoting the spirit and practice of diversity, and further the goals of equal employment opportunity by taking positive steps to ensure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives, and adherence to nondiscriminatory employment practices.
- Interacting with a variety of organizations and individuals, including Commissioners, SEC staff and management, Congress, and the general public.
- Consulting with the Investor Advocate on proposed recommendations.
- Advising the Investor Advocate on issues related to small businesses and small business investors.
Conditions of Employment:
- You must possess a J.D. or LL.B Degree.
- You must be an active member of the bar in good standing.
- CITIZENSHIP: This position is open to all U.S. Citizens, with the exception of current SEC employees.
- Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
- Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
- This position has promotion potential to the SO-03 level.
- TRIAL PERIOD: This appointment may require completion of a two year supervisory/managerial trial period.
- SECURITY CLEARANCE: Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. Favorable results on a Background Investigation may be a condition of employment or selection to another position.
- DRUG TESTING: This position may be subjected to drug testing requirements.
- PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (PCS): Moving/Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- This position is not in the collective bargaining unit.
- Due to COVID-19, the SEC is currently in an optional telework posture. This position is eligible to request telework in accordance with the SEC 's telework policy.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sector. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Qualifying education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: All applicants must possess the following
- J.D. or LL.B. degree --AND--
- Active membership of the bar in good standing in any state, territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the commonwealth of Puerto Rico. (Note: proof of bar membership will be required before entry on duty.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, applicants must also meet the minimum qualification requirement.
SO-03: Applicant must have at least four years post-J.D experience identifying legal issues, providing legal analyses, providing legal solutions/recommendations, and preparing legal documents,which also includes at least three years of specialized experience:
- Advocating for the interests of small businesses and small business investors, and encouraging small business capital formation;
- Assisting small businesses with compliance and reporting obligations under the federal securities laws;
- Assisting investors in small businesses to assess the risks and rewards of such investments;
- Analyzing policies regarding small business capital formation;
- Preparing, reviewing, or analyzing financial statements of small businesses; and
- Assisting small businesses raise capital through registered or exempt offerings under the Securities Act of 1933.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Official Transcripts will be required at the time of appointment to verify educational eligibility.
Kindly refer to the below link for a detailed description of the job - https://www.usajobs.gov/job/661590200