Karl Storz is currently seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join the Global Legal & Compliance department.
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide the KARL STORZ entities in North America with expert and strategic legal advice on all legal matters for the North Americas.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with business partners at all levels, both locally and globally, and effectively balance legal risk and strategic business initiatives;
- Providing legal guidance to the business on various regulatory matters, including Anti-Kickback Statutes, False Claims Act, antitrust, rebating strategies, and transparency laws.
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and other commercial agreements;
- Evaluating and weighing multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action;
- Developing, reviewing, and implementing companywide or functionally specific policies, processes, programs and/or training;
- Promoting and ensuring compliance with company contracting policies and other corporate policies, procedures and programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Our successful candidate will have excellent oral and written English language business communication skills; be extremely organized; be team oriented and collaborative; as well as be a proactive and resourceful individual.
Additional requirements include, but are not limited to:
- JD from a nationally recognized and accredited U.S. law school;
- 5 years, minimum, as in-house legal counsel (top-tier law firm candidates may be considered) advising on areas of law that impact multinational medical device companies such as intellectual property, compliance, commercial contracts, antitrust, privacy, healthcare fraud and abuse, FDA regulatory, corporate, and M&A;
- Significant experience drafting, negotiating and interpreting a wide range of complex commercial agreements, including distribution and discount agreements with GPOs and IDNs;
- Experience with healthcare/fraud and abuse laws, including False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, and Civil Monetary Penalties Law;
- CA bar license required;
- Ability to do 5-15% overnight domestic and international travel;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with excellent follow-through to meet deadlines;
- Superior common sense, judgment, pragmatism, tact, diplomacy and professionalism;
- Exceptional organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Strong presentation and written and verbal communication skills;
- Passion for business integrity, strong ethical center, and impeccable track record;
- Ability to inspire trust and confidence in clients;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and be flexible, adaptable and responsive to colleagues at all levels;
- Ability to work with outside counsel and interact with senior management;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- High level of familiarity with standard office software and the ability to learn new job-related systems and software.
Preferred but not required:
- 8+ years relevant legal experience as a commercial/healthcare attorney;
- Experience working with the FDA and the laws and regulations relating to the discovery, development, approval, sales and marketing of medical devices;
- Experience with HIPAA and other privacy laws;
- Experience supporting M&A transactions, strategic partnerships, and joint ventures;
- Experience advising senior executives (e.g., Senior Directors, VPs, and above);
- Excellent written and spoken German language business communication skills.