Description:Your work days are brighter here.
At Workday, it all began with a conversation over breakfast. When our founders met at a sunny California diner, they came up with an idea to revolutionize the enterprise software market. And when we began to rise, one thing that really set us apart was our culture. A culture which was driven by our value of putting our people first. And ever since, the happiness, development, and contribution of every Workmate is central to who we are. Our Workmates believe a healthy employee-centric, collaborative culture is the essential mix of ingredients for success in business. That's why we look after our people, communities and the planet while still being profitable. Feel encouraged to shine, however that manifests: you don't need to hide who you are. You can feel the energy and the passion, it's what makes us unique. Inspired to make a brighter work day for all and transform with us to the next stage of our growth journey? Bring your brightest version of you and have a brighter work day here.
About the Team:
At Workday, our employees are the core of our business, and we are committed to encouraging a culture that VIBEs (values inclusion, belonging, and equity). As part of the Employment Legal Team, you will play a meaningful role in ensuring that Workday continues to be a welcoming environment where a diverse group of people, experiences, and perspectives thrive.
About the role:
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing. At Workday, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we're serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.
The Senior Employment Counsel will partner with People & Purpose and other business functions to support our core values of innovation, customer service, integrity, and profitability, while ensuring that Workday maintains a culture of fairness, development and fun for its employees. Workday is seeking a talented attorney who can apply discerning judgment when advising on complex employment matters globally. Working closely with other members of the Employment Legal team, the Employment Counsel will:
- Counsel and provide guidance to People & Purpose regarding employee relations issues (including employee performance, terminations, leaves of absence, and accommodation requests, benefits and ERISA);
- Provide pragmatic advice to the business on domestic and international employment laws and matters;
- Draft and review various types of employment agreements;
- Manage administrative claims and litigation (e.g. discrimination, wage and hour, etc.);
- Conduct diligence and advise on mergers & acquisitions
- Assist with employment-related projects, including review of internal procedures, new policies, and benefits.
- J.D. Degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least 1 state bar
- 7+ years of experience as a practicing attorney in a law firm or in-house/public sector legal department with extensive employment law experience
- Excellent contract negotiation and drafting skills, comfortable and adept at teaming with leadership in fast paced customer facing transactions, preferably with enterprise software/SaaS experience.
- Ability to influence, advise, and advocate for the business' interests.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, enabling effective communication with legal and non-legal audiences.
- Exercises superior judgment and in tune with complex needs of the business to advise clients in an effective and creative manner.
- Cultivates internal and external relationships and leads project collaboration with cross-functional networks.
- Utilizes strategic focus, critical thinking and a problem solving approach.
- Proactively identifies and analyzes legal risks and exercises good judgment and effective techniques to reach solutions with little guidance.
- Manages legal projects using strong organizational and project management skills; uses best practices and lean principles for process improvements.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves to drive creative solutions, build efficient processes and make sound decisions.
Workday Pay Transparency Statement
The annualized base salary ranges for the primary location and any additional locations are listed below. Workday pay ranges vary based on work location. As a part of the total compensation package, this role may be eligible for the Workday Bonus Plan or a role-specific commission/bonus, as well as annual refresh stock grants. Recruiters can share more detail during the hiring process. Each candidate's compensation offer will be based on multiple factors including, but not limited to, geography, experience, skills, job duties, and business need, among other things. For more information regarding Workday's comprehensive benefits, please click here. (http://www.workday.com/en-us/company/careers/benefits.html)
Primary Location: USA.CA.Pleasanton
Primary Location Base Pay Range: $176,900 USD - $265,300 USD
Additional US Location(s) Base Pay Range: $147,200 USD - $265,300 USD
Our Approach to Flexible Work
With Flex Work, we're combining the best of both worlds: in-person time and remote. Our approach enables our teams to deepen connections, maintain a strong community, and do their best work. We know that flexibility can take shape in many ways, so rather than a number of required days in-office each week, we simply spend at least half (50%) of our time each quarter in the office or in the field with our customers, prospects, and partners (depending on role). This means you'll have the freedom to create a flexible schedule that caters to your business, team, and personal needs, while being intentional to make the most of time spent together. Those in our remote "home office" roles also have the opportunity to come together in our offices for important moments that matter.
Pursuant to applicable Fair Chance law, Workday will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Workday is an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Are you being referred to one of our roles? If so, ask your connection at Workday about our Employee Referral process!