You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
The Hartford is seeking a Senior Counsel, Securities and Corporate Governance (Senior Counsel), to join its high-performing and collaborative Securities, Corporate Governance and M&A Law Unit. The Senior Counsel will provide legal support on SEC reporting, corporate governance, M&A, and other general corporate matters. The Senior Counsel will have the opportunity to work on some of The Hartford’s most mission-critical matters, including: providing legal support to corporate finance, treasury, marketing and communications, and human resources, and will also support M&A transactions and strategic and venture investments. The Senior Counsel will report to the Assistant General Counsel, Head of Securities, Corporate Governance and M&A Law and will have the opportunity to work closely with the General Counsel and other members of The Hartford’s Executive Leadership Team. This role is based in our Hartford, CT, Home office on a hybrid basis.
- Assist in the preparation of SEC filings, including The Hartford’s annual and quarterly reports (Forms 10-K and 10-Q), proxy statement, Section 16 filings, and current reports (Forms 8-K)
- Assist the corporate secretarial function, including preparing materials for the Board of Directors and committee meetings
- Support corporate finance and investor relations in connection with earnings announcements and other investor communications and engagement initiatives
- Support corporate treasury in connection with capital markets transactions and other matters, including drafting and reviewing transaction agreements and leading due diligence
- Provide legal advice to ensure compliance with SEC and New York Stock Exchange requirements
- Provide legal counsel on a diverse range of matters related to corporate governance and operations of the Company
- Monitor corporate governance developments and best practices, new laws, regulations and industry trends affecting the Company, and assist with the development of policies as needed
- Provide support on M&A transactions, subsidiary governance matters and ESG / sustainability initiatives as needed
- A minimum of three or more years of relevant law firm or in-house experience. Experience with securities law and public company matters is required, including ’33 Act, ’34 Act, and SEC and NYSE rules. Experience with M&A work and/or with insurance matters is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including the ability to communicate effectively with executive leadership; demonstrated ability to build successful working relationships with senior leaders desirable
- Demonstrated ability analyzing legal issues and developing recommended positions to resolve issues efficiently; track record of being able to lead complex projects and rapidly identify key issues
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to exercise independent judgment, able drafter and editor of legal documents within specialty
- Familiarity with insurance legal issues and regulations a plus
- Juris doctorate (J.D.) and CT Bar license or Connecticut Authorized House Counsel status required or must be obtained.
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition. The annualized base pay range for this role is:
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age