The Senior Counsel role will provide legal advice and support to R&D Business Development. The work will focus on drafting and negotiating various types of agreements such as research and development collaborations and partnerships, license agreements, M&A agreements, and various transactional intellectual property matters.
The Senior Counsel role will engage with a diverse range of stakeholders within the business and across Global Legal. This role will work closely together with the R&D Business Development, Global R&D teams located in Cambridge and Denmark as well as other Novo Nordisk lawyers in Novo Nordisk's US headquarters in Plainsboro, New Jersey. As part of the Global Legal organization, this role would also be involved with cross-functional global legal projects and will have opportunities, both in the United States and abroad, for further professional development.
This position reports to the Vice President – Legal Business Development & Trademarks located in Denmark. The position will be a key member of the highly collaborative and high-performing Legal Business Development & Trademarks team which provides legal support to Novo Nordisk's global Business Development teams, Global Research, Digital Health, Trademarks, including leading support for IP licensing transactions, M&A, and other global strategic collaborations. The team is primarily located in Novo Nordisk's headquarters in Denmark, as part of Global Legal & Patents. Novo Nordisk's Global Legal organization has more than 250 global legal colleagues situated at +40 locations around the world with US headquarters in Plainsboro, New Jersey.
- Provide legal support to key stakeholders by drafting, negotiating, and structuring/advising on life science transactions, including global licensing transactions, strategic collaboration, and acquisitions
- Proactively identifies risks, opportunities and mitigating actions, and collaborates across legal and business functions to implement
- Manages outside counsel relationships
- Works closely with leadership from line of business in developing strategy and achieving objectives
- May draft, review, and negotiate contracts and other legal documents as needed
- Actively seeking customer feedback on a continuous basis, actively listening, and clarifying feedback, and acting in response as needed
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with all levels within the organization
- Has personal drive, “can-do” approach and results-oriented attitude, which enables you to establish strong professional relations internally and externally
- Ability to work under pressure, manage numerous and changing priorities effectively and solid attention to detail
0-10% overnight travel required.
- A J.D. Law degree from a recognized university and state bar admission required and ability to obtain a Massachusetts in-house counsel license required
- 4+ years relevant legal experience required. Some in-house experience preferred, but not required
- Experience within the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Strong problem-solving skills - demonstrates and exercises creativity and initiative
- Strong written and verbal communications skills - able to effectively collaborate and communicate with client groups, senior management, and executives within the company
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously independently