About Clearway Energy GroupClearway Energy Group is leading the transition to a world powered by clean energy. Along with our public affiliate Clearway Energy, Inc., we own and operate more than 8 gigawatts of renewable and conventional energy assets across the country. As we develop a nationwide pipeline of new renewable energy projects for one future, Clearway's 6.9 gigawatts of operating wind, solar, and energy storage assets offset the equivalent of more than 10.5 million metric tons of carbon emissions for our customers today. Clearway Energy Group is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Carlsbad, California; Scottsdale, Arizona; Houston; and Princeton, N.J. For more information, visit clearwayenergygroup.com.
The Senior Counsel for Procurement, EPC, and O&M will provide advice and counsel to management and project teams as Clearway positions itself to capture emerging opportunities in Utility-Scale Wind, Solar and Battery Energy Storage segments of the energy industry. This position reports to the Deputy General Counsel, and will be a hybrid role in our Carlsbad, CA, Scottsdale, AZ, or San Francisco, CA office.
Principal Responsibilities & Key Results
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients on matters relating to engineering, procurement, construction, operations and maintenance, including for financed projects
- Represent the company in major transactions and negotiations
- Draft and negotiate EPC Agreements, O&M Agreements, Turbine Supply Agreements, Module Supply Agreements, etc.
- Provide counsel on legal issues identified by asset management, O&M and procurement teams in connection with operating projects
- Supervise outside counsel as necessary
- Assist other attorneys or the General Counsel on additional projects as necessary
- Work closely with internal stakeholders, including development and project finance counsel, to facilitate continuous improvements to contracting processes and tools.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Business acumen and excellent commercial judgment
- Ability to work independently and as a team member, ability to set priorities and to respond to changing demands from multiple sources
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including ability to work independently; project management skills; ability to negotiate; ability to provide a high level of client service and build consensus
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization
- Experience in renewable energy and a demonstrated aptitude to understand complex and new technologies, systems, innovations and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges
- Demonstrated ability to obtain and review complex information and clearly articulate conclusions and associated recommendations
- Ability to and preference for working in a fast-paced, leanly staffed, entrepreneurial environment
- Solution oriented, “get-to-yes” problem-solver with a proven ability to think creatively about responsibly managing risk in a dynamic environment
- Ability to take lead on any responsibilities within the job description
- Previous wind, solar, or battery system experience
- JD and strong academic record from a leading law school
- License to practice law
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience at a major law firm or with a sophisticated in-house legal department; many candidates may have substantially more experience
- Significant experience advising clients with respect to construction, procurement, and operation and maintenance matters, ideally involving utility-scale wind, solar, and/or battery projects
Clearway will not sponsor nonimmigrant visas for this position (H-1B, TN, E-3, etc.).