Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Bristol Myers Squibb is looking for an experienced life sciences transactional attorney who can be successful within our fast-paced, adaptive and focused culture.
This position will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and support for Corporate Development (i.e., mergers and acquisitions) and Business Development (i.e., licensing and collaborations) transactions.
- Lead drafting and negotiations, structuring and counseling on transactions (including mergers and acquisitions, strategic equity investments, strategic divestitures, global licenses, collaborations and partnerships and other transactions). Identify and resolve critical legal issues and identify and help resolve critical business issues arising from transactions. Oversee and manage the legal due diligence process.
- Partner with Corporate Development and Business Development clients to ensure strategic alignment in all transactions, escalating matters as appropriate with the judgment to understand when escalation is necessary.
- Manage business relationships and counsel business clients across a broad sphere of influence, internally and externally, on transaction and strategic issues pertaining to strategic alliance partnerships and collaborations.
- Contribute to the on-going development of a high-performance transactions legal team and cultivate a highly collaborative culture with effective relationships with peers in the legal department as well as other key functions.
- As appropriate, manage and organize antitrust approvals and negotiations with antitrust authorities and regulators.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Demonstrate full commitment to Bristol Myers Squibb’s mission and values.
- Law degree from recognized university. Qualification to practice law in New Jersey or ability to obtain a NJ in-house counsel limited license.
- Required years of legal M&A, Licensing and/or Collaboration Transactional experience within Life Sciences: Senior Corporate Counsel - 8 - 9 years minimum / Senior Counsel - 7 years minimum.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex transaction agreements. Experience in bio-pharmaceutical or life-sciences industry transactions preferred.
- Understanding of bio-pharmaceutical/life-sciences industry.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and can successfully manage internal client expectations and can work/operate well with a variety of personalities/capabilities in cross-functional teams, matrix environment.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Listens to internal client needs and communicates with clients with confidence and diplomacy.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and business judgment are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and senior management personnel.
- Ability to train and develop the other members of the team.
- Ability to work independently, effectively and efficiently and perform against broad objectives.
- Possess strong work ethic.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.