Brief Description of Sunnova
Sunnova (NYSE: NOVA) is revolutionizing the energy industry as a leading Energy as a Service (EaaS) provider of solar, battery storage, EV charging, and other energy solutions with customers spanning the U.S. and its territories. Founded in 2012, our goal is to provide homeowners, businesses, and communities with a better energy service at a better price – making clean, renewable energy more accessible, reliable, and affordable.
At Sunnova, we believe that our success comes from the diversity and creativity of our people. Our team is made up of forward-thinkers who are passionate about changing the energy industry for the better, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us. We encourage our people to push beyond traditional limits and explore new horizons – because only then can we truly transform the world for the better.
If you're excited about being a part of the fastest-growing segment of the energy industry, we want you on our team!
The Senior Corporate Counsel Position
Sunnova Energy is searching for a Senior Corporate Counsel, with 5-7 years’ broad range of complexed transactional experience to advise internal clients on the operation of the business; and draft, review and negotiate a wide range of commercial contracts. The successful candidate possesses the ability to maintain a general business practice to resolve the various legal and business issues facing a publicly held consumer-facing business.
Senior Corporate Counsel Responsibilities
- Lead contract negotiations involving transaction of medium to high risk and/or complexity
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates a broad range of commercial contracts and other legal documents, including direct and indirect procurement and sourcing agreements, distribution agreements, consulting agreements, marketing and agency agreements, software licensing and SaaS agreements, information technology agreements, business associate and staffing agency agreement, standard terms and conditions and other commercial contracts
- Collaborates with stakeholders to ensure the success of business processes and implements improvements related to legal and risk management issues
- Provides counsel and guidance regarding the Company’s compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations and with the Company’s policies and procedures
- Monitors, researches and communicates developments in relevant law, regulations and interpretations
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and proactively develops effective and practical legal strategies and solutions
- Authors correspondence, legal memoranda, policies and reports
- Provides advice in other specialized practice areas as assigned by Associate General Counsel, [Commercial Transactions and Procurement]
- Handles special projects as requested by management
- J.D. from an accredited law school; member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 5-7years in house or at a reputable law firm in general corporate and transactional matters
- Proficiency using Excel.
- Proficiency using SmartSheets
- Experience advising the Company’s business partners in one or more of the following substantive areas: procurement, logistics and supply chain management; consumer protection regulations; vendor compliance.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong track record of professional accomplishments
- Extremely detailed-oriented with a strong focus on accuracy
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, employing creativity as needed
- Keen ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing quality or client service; thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while managing shifting priorities
- Strong negotiation skills; listens well and seeks clarification; anticipates and responds well to questions; communicates thoughts clearly and concisely
- Writes clearly, informatively and concisely; varies writing style to meet the needs of the audience
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality and efficiency
- Responds to management direction and is dependable; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals
- Takes initiative, self-motivated; asks for and offer help when needed
- Maintains professionalism, accepts responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments
- Works well in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment; balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building team morale
- Flexible and exhibits a positive attitude, even during particularly busy or stressful periods
- Analytical thinking skills – gather and analyze information skillfully; synthesize diverse information; collect and research data
- Possesses strong business acumen and a desire to partner with clients to help achieve business plans
- Consistently at work on time and engaged
Sunnova offers a generous employee reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, healthcare flexible spending account, and 401(k) with employer match.
- Competitive compensation & annual bonus
- Paid time off, including 10 holidays and Paid Parental Leave
- Cell phone allowance for many roles
- Free access to onsite fitness center in Houston and/or discounted fitness memberships through health provider
- Complimentary garage parking in Houston
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are selected for a position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.