Looking for the opportunity to use your legal skills in a career that combines innovative technology and creativity, ultimately helping both creative and engineering types build a better world? If so, meet Autodesk. Learn more about why Autodesk is continually ranked a top place to work by Fortune, Forbes, Glassdoor, and others: Top 7 Reasons You Should Work at Autodesk.
Data Privacy and Governance has become an increasingly important topic for global companies. Autodesk is committed to protecting the data and privacy of our global customers and employees.
The Privacy Counsel will work closely with the San Francisco based Data Legal team, the Autodesk Data Protection Officer, Data Privacy & Governance and Security teams to implement initiatives necessary for compliance with global privacy laws and regulations with a particular focus on children's privacy, including student privacy matters. The Counsel will help support the Education team at Autodesk, including advising on laws and regulations pertaining to children and students both domestically and abroad, assist with reviewing and negotiating data protection contracts requested by schools and school districts and support other initiatives advanced by the Education team at Autodesk. The Counsel will develop strategies and initiatives to engage with key stakeholders and raise awareness of data privacy and security compliance and governance across the company.
Commutable to: San Francisco, CA or Boston, MA
- Support the Autodesk's Education teams with their various initiatives, including coordinating and providing advice and alignment regarding privacy and data protection on all matters related to global children's privacy and student data privacy laws
- Partner with Autodesk's Education, engineering, product and marketing teams to develop and maintain applicable policies, standards and practices
- Act as subject matter authority for Autodesk's government affairs and public policy team on student and children's privacy matters
- Proactively advise on changes to processes and procedures in anticipation of regulatory and business developments, including assisting Autodesk to build a scalable privacy compliance program related to students and child users of Autodesk products
- Research and track global privacy and security legislation, evolving regulations, and enforcement and translate that into clear, concise, and actionable guidance
- Provide counsel on domestic and international data privacy and security laws, regulations, and industry best practices, particularly related to software and cloud services
- Provide counsel on domestic and international student and education privacy issues
- Partner with members of the legal team, security team, and data privacy & governance to ensure Autodesk's compliance with laws, regulations, customer and vendor contracts
- Provide guidance to legal and product management teams on issues pertaining to new and existing products/features throughout the entire development lifecycle
- Draft and negotiate data protection terms in contracts and disclosures, including Data Protection Addendum, Privacy Statements, and Terms of Service
- Respond to communications from Autodesk's customers and employees regarding their individual rights, and Autodesk's processing of their personal data
- Assist in developing and maintaining Autodesk's privacy program, and related policies, procedures, documentation, and communication materials
- Collaborate with data governance and business teams to create records of processing
- Assist in developing training materials and providing training to employees on privacy and security related obligations and further develop our privacy and data protection practices in the US and globally
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in the area of technology transactions, data privacy, security and data governance
- Expertise in global data protection law, including knowledge of the global privacy and data protection laws and student privacy laws including U.S. state privacy laws, COPPA, FERPA, the UK's Age-Appropriate Design Code and other similar requirements
- Experience implementing global privacy and data protection requirements
- Experience representing technology companies, cloud, marketing or data analytics services
- A proven record of success in-house and/or at a reputable law firm
- Excellent negotiation skills, with the ability and confidence to represent Autodesk in the area of data privacy and security
- Ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally and guide internal clients lead under pressure unruffled, exhibiting timely and quality decision making
- Exceptional written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, capable of quickly gaining the respect of and interacting comfortably with and successfully collaborating with and influencing senior leaders
- Strong work ethic, a self-starter, action-oriented and ensures accountability
- Strategic problem solver with ability to spot issues and communicate complex legal issues to a variety of legal and non-legal partners
- Excellent legal and business judgment
- Law degree
- CIPP certification preferred
Click below to learn more about our benefits in the US.
At Autodesk, we're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Are you an existing contractor or consultant with Autodesk? Please search for open jobs and apply internally (not on this external site). If you have any questions or require support, contact Autodesk Careers.
Salary is one part of Autodesk's competitive package. For U.S.-based roles, we expect a starting base salary between $139,100 and $225,060. Offers are based on the candidate's experience and geographic location, and may exceed this range. In addition to base salaries, we also have a significant emphasis on annual cash bonuses, commissions for sales roles, stock grants, and a comprehensive benefits package.