Description:This is not an active opening - talent that applies will be considered for future roles with the responsibilities listed.
The Counsel or Senior Counsel position is responsible for advising on a variety of healthcare-related legal, regulatory and compliance issues governing on-market and pipeline products, with a primary focus on the anti-kickback statute, false claims act and advertising and promotional regulations.
This role will operate in a hybrid capacity (3 days in, 2 days remote) from one of the following AbbVie sites: Lake County, IL; Madison, NJ; Irvine, CA; South San Francisco, CA
- Serve as Senior Counsel for one or multiple pharmaceutical brands, and provide substantive advice to Marketing, Medical Affairs and Regulatory Affairs departments concerning a broad range of legal, regulatory and compliance issues. These include FDA regulations, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, the Sunshine Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and competition law in connection with product labeling, promotional and non-promotional activities.
- Provide clear advice to business clients and senior legal management on U.S. laws focusing on areas of promotion, patient support, payor access, go-to-market strategies, and scientific exchange.
- Responsible for preparing, reviewing and negotiating complex commercial agreements, 3rd party vendor agreements, service agreements, pharmacy agreements, consulting agreements and other corporate agreements.
- Provide legal advice and assistance for the development of policies and training, and conduct training.
- Develop knowledge of AbbVie's business and supported client areas. Keep abreast of changes in laws that affect client areas.
- Resolve legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise. Advise legal department managers of project developments in a timely manner. Execute core job responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Help select and direct the work of outside counsel, define project objectives, manage project and budget.
- Work cross-functionally and find solutions for business clients consistent with the law, policies/procedures, and AbbVie's Code of Conduct.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- J.D. required + licensed to practice in at least one state.
- Minimum 4-8 years of relevant experience (previous pharma experience strongly preferred).
- Experience with Market Access/Managed Health Care matters is desirable, but not required.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie's policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person's relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time