Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits, not to mention a Flex Work approach that is truly flexible to support where, when, and how you do your best work.
The Legal Department provides core legal support to all Dolby functions, runs several IP-centric businesses, and leads government relations.
The successful candidate will be a patent attorney responsible for supporting active research, development, standardization, and licensing programs. The position includes a variety of responsibilities such as performing and capturing invention disclosures, managing patent prosecution, analyzing third-party patents and standards documents, and conducting due diligence related to potential acquisitions. As a patent attorney in Dolby’s audio patent group, you will be directly responsible for the prosecution of a worldwide portfolio of patents and patent applications, including Standard Essential Patents (SEPs), related to our audio technology.
- Align a growing, worldwide patent portfolio with a dynamic business, including the capture and review of invention disclosures and the preparation of recommendations for a cross-functional invention review committee.
- Manage domestic and foreign outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications of particular importance to Dolby’s business.
- Advise on the acquisition, development, and commercialization of third-party technologies and related intellectual property matters.
- Advise on third-party patent claims against products and technologies.
- Support patent licensing and enforcement activities.
- Provide information and training to internal groups as required regarding patent protection procedures and programs.
- Provide such other patent, licensing and intellectual property support as may be assigned.
- 3 - 5 years of experience as a patent attorney in a top-tier law firm, and preferably some experience working in-house.
- Juris doctor degree.
- Admission to a state bar and USPTO
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on digital signal processing or bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience, especially in the area of voice, audio, and/or video signal processing.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Self-initiative and ability to work with minimum of direction under pressure.
- Superior organization and project management skills.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in intellectual property licensing and litigation.
- Experience in standard bodies and patent pools
- Management of worldwide patent strategies.
- Experience with voice codec and/or immersive audio technology.
The San Francisco/Bay Area base salary range for this full-time position is $195,900 - $239,400 plus bonus, equity, and benefits, and can vary if outside of this location. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, competencies, experience, market demands, internal parity, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range and perks and benefits for your location during the hiring process.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.