Description:You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
The Managing Attorney (MA) maintains and grows the presence of The Hartford's Florida Staff Counsel, which represents and defends the interests of The Hartford's insureds.. The Managing Attorney will lead the staff counsel office, providing oversight and guidance on case handling to the ~11 attorneys, and supervise an Assistant Managing Attorney and Office Team Leader. The Managing Attorney will also build and maintain partnering relationships with staff and with Claim Centers, provide excellent results to clients, and build and maintain the firm's reputation of excellence in the local legal community. The MA will lead a large team of approximately 13 direct reports and a total team of 34 people. This role is based remotely in Florida.
- Oversee and manage assigned staff and jurisdictions dedicated to Automobile, General Liability, Construction Defect, Worker's Compensation, Subrogation, and PIP. This oversight includes determining case assignments and guidance in case handling. The MA will also oversee the timely and meaningful communications with clients, claims, and opposing counsel.
- Responsible for the health of the talent on the team ensuring equitable coaching, mentoring and development is continuously occurring as well as effectively enabling the team to navigate through significant change.
- Recruit, hire, and performance manage as necessary.
- Develop and maintain partnership between Staff Legal and Claim Centers. Provide high quality service and timely information to Claims.
- Accountable for the quality and delivery of legal services to clients and customers. Ensure adherence to all quality, customer service, and litigation management standards; frequently conduct local management file analysis and reviews; participate in countrywide quality program; and monitor and track large loss files. Responsible for compliance with all applicable ethical requirements and standards.
- Participate in and lead roundtables with insureds, Claims Partnership calls, and claims file reviews.
- Gather, compile, and analyze data and statistics from multiple sources for
- preparation of monthly reports. Create strategic plans for improvement. Identify issues that raise broad client, claim, or corporate implications. Able to proactively spot trends and opportunities that will help inform strategic planning.
- Assume proactive, leading role in requisite training of staff on legal issues and goals.
- Assist with recruiting process, including hiring, developing, and retaining outstanding legal staff and support staff. Identify top talent; focus on development and "re-recruiting" this talent.
- Champion Diversity Equity and Inclusion to create an environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging and opportunity to be able to succeed. Provide high quality legal representation to clients.
- 10+ year's law practice and significant management experience required.
- Strong litigation background including experience and proficiency in complex tort and litigation, with extensive jury trial experience preferred. Experience with construction defect cases helpful.
- Demonstrated leadership capability in leading teams inclusively and proven success in leading teams through significant change.
- Able to work independently with a high degree of personal accountability and integrity.
- Innovative, intellectually curious, and a strategic thinker; visionary; able to anticipate and be proactive and resourceful.
- Highly organized with great attention to detail required. Experience analyzing data and able to derive value added business insights from this analysis.
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice in the state of Florida. Member in good standing of all state and federal bars where attorney has been admitted.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel; advanced Excel skills required.
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition. The annualized base pay range for this role is: