Guardian is looking to add an experienced litigator to its Litigation team. This is a hybrid position working onsite at Guardian’s Pittsfield, MA office 10-12 days per month with the option to work from home the remaining days of the month.
The Litigation Counsel will be responsible for managing all types of litigation involving Guardian and its subsidiaries. The candidate will provide advice and counsel across the Guardian enterprise on a variety of topics including Product Development, Marketing and Distribution, Claims, and Underwriting. The primary challenge for this position lies in the diversity of competencies required to respond to the litigation needs across Guardian’s vast array of financial services, product suite and subsidiary organizations. Internally, this position interacts with all departments and at all management levels.
You will serve on ad hoc project teams within the Company to develop customer centric solutions to recurring issues. Externally, you will interact on a nationwide level with attorneys, Guardian insurance producers and General Agents, peers in the insurance industry, trade associations, Judges, regulators, policyholders and beneficiaries.
This position will report to the Associate General Counsel, Litigation, who reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer There is a need for occasional travel to Guardian’s regional offices (primarily New York City and Bethlehem, PA) and to attend litigation functions (i.e., mediations, depositions, court hearings).
You will be expected to:
- Provide strategic and effective litigation case management and budget discipline while maintaining a robust caseload.
- Manage and direct outside counsel on a national portfolio of financial services, insurance and employment litigation.
- Identify and lead operational excellence projects to streamline processes.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships throughout the enterprise; collaborate with key stakeholders to improve litigation outcomes and ensure the Litigation Team achieves broader enterprise objectives.
- Provide proactive advice and legal support for the claims and underwriting organizations.
- Develop and deliver proactive trainings on recurring issues for key stakeholders, business partners, and the Law Department.
You will have:
- 5 - 10 years of litigation experience and admission to the New York or Massachusetts bar.
- Insurance or financial services experience is preferred.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of civil procedure and contract law.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and ability to express yourself in an open and honest manner.
- An open mind, a curious disposition and willingness to collaborate in a fast-paced environment.
- A demonstrated history of growth, innovation, problem solving and client service.
- A desire to lead, inspire, motivate, and drive performance.