Outschool is looking for an experienced and strategic Lead Counsel to join our legal team. The ideal candidate has deep experience in privacy, but is also willing to take on a larger generalist role to support various cross-functional teams. The person also has a track record of providing practical and timely business advice, supporting various departments, and serving as a trusted legal advisor.
As Lead Counsel, you are fluent in data privacy, data architecture, information management and cyber security, and possess the business acumen necessary to champion an interdisciplinary approach that empowers the business for success. You are a high-level operator with the ability to manage complex projects seamlessly and effectively, who is excited to be hands-on and embrace challenges to drive desired outcomes, and who maintains a keen awareness of our business and opportunities.
This role would be called a Director in other companies, but at Outschool we have decided to take an unconventional approach to titling that aligns with our values and focuses on impact above status. You can learn more about our titling philosophy here.
- Partner closely with Engineering, Product, Design, Trust & Safety, and other teams to assess potential data privacy and security risks, regulatory controls, and governance for Outschool's digital marketplace platform
- Maintain and scale a high-quality, comprehensive US and international privacy program that matches business objectives while ensuring the confidentiality of personal data, including data of minors, which incorporates appropriate consents, notices, training, and privacy-by-design practices
- Assess and monitor key developments and changes for personal data management and regulatory compliance, and proactively facilitate both workforce awareness and product revisions
- Support cross-functional teams like Product, Marketing, Engineering, Community, Customer Support by identifying legal issues and mitigating for the commercialization of products
- Understand and advance Outschool's priorities by connecting issues across business leaders and subject matter experts to develop and drive comprehensive, long-term legal strategies that balance risk and business objectives
- Assist with other legal matters on an as-needed basis
Desired Experience & Skills:
- 9+ years of experience working in a law firm and in-house legal department, with at least 3+ years of experience focused on privacy and privacy compliance (plus if you have COPPA experience)
- Active membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Can-do attitude and willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges
- Background in counseling business teams on various matters including commercial contracts, intellectual property, litigation
- Established record of sound judgment and decision making
- Excellent communication, writing, and persuasion skills
- Self-starter, strong organization and project management skills
- Can work independently in a fast-paced environment that challenges conventional wisdom while maintaining the highest standards for legal and ethical compliance