What you'll do...
The location of this role will be Bentonville AR, Dallas TX, or Washington DC.
Join Walmart's Chief Legal Office supporting and advising the business and leadership on obligations and risks regarding Walmart's global financial services business. We are looking for your expertise in Payments, FinTech, Pre-paid access, BNPL, the CARD Act, check cashing, money transmission, and depository services. The Lead Counsel, Financial Services role is critical to developing new products and identifying risk associated with current and proposed business initiatives related to financial services and other areas of Walmart's global business. The Lead Counsel, Financial Services role will, when necessary, liaise with the relevant regulatory agencies and with Walmart's global investigations units regarding government investigations and enforcement. The Lead Counsel, Financial Services role will assist in setting the strategy for how to comply with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements in the identified areas.
What you'll do….
- Provide legal advice to the company by helping clients understand obligations and risks, develop strategies, and counsel on legal issues and business initiatives that involve an analysis and opinion in the following subject matter areas:
- The Dodd-Frank Act and Consumer Financial Protection Act, Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Unfair Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), Fair Debt Collection and Practices Act (FDCPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA), Military Lending Act (MLA), and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Knowledge of the Credit Card Networks, Network Rules, PCI DSS Compliance, the Durbin Amendment, and NACHA Rules
- Extensive experience dealing with federal and state banking and other regulators including the CFPB, FED, FTC, OCC, and FDIC
- FinTech Technology partners, including BaaS (Banking as a Service) and the evolving regulatory landscape of Fintech Bank partnerships
- Working knowledge of lending related regulatory issues, including fraud and AML, of state Attorneys General, and State financial services departments
- State and Federal Money Transmission law, and Money Service Business rules including state licensing
- FTC Advertising requirements for financial products
- State and Federal Consumer Protection Laws
- Consumer privacy and safeguards under state and federal law
- State law relating to the Issuance or selling of Money Orders and Bill Paying
- Foreign Currency exchange
- State and Federal check cashing law, including the licensing and registration requirements
- State licensing of non-bank ATM businesses
- Consumer and Commercial lending, including Pay in Four, Installment Loans, Retail Installment Sales and/or Consumer Credit Sales, Merchant Cash Advance (Advances on Future Earnings)
- Issuing and/or selling prepaid access/stored value
- Understanding and tracking legislative trends and significant legal decisions and assist in the represent the company before various administrative and judicial bodies
- Identify the need for and direct legal support for business transactions and projects by collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Review and approve business initiative implementation strategies
- Oversee the filing of governmental notices or disclosures; review legal documents, notices, and announcements; review legislative and regulatory developments and other research
- Develop relationships as business partner clients by understanding the global business goals and objectives and provide business related input
- Provide overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer need; determine and support resource requirements; evaluate operational processes; measure outcomes to ensure desired results
What you'll bring….
- Extensive years of experience as a subject matter expert in the financial services industry, including BSA, credit card, money transmission, fintech, licensing, and financial services regulation
- Experience working on cross-functional teams and collaborating with legal, compliance, and business stakeholders in multiple countries to move projects forward by gaining support needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and can translate complex legal issues into readily understandable and actionable recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to work practically and quickly to evaluate risk, solve problems, and make decisions that balance risk, opportunity, and business objectives
- Fun and enthusiasm for working for a cutting-edge team in one of world's largest companies
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks: Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are: Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
- Law degree from an accredited law school and 6 years' experience in law.
- License to practice law in at least one state.
- 2 years' experience leading cross-functional teams.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
80 M Street, SE, Suite 700, WASHINGTON, DC 20003, United States of America