Description:Duties and Responsibilities:
Junior Counsel works under the direction of more experienced legal counsel to provide legal advice in a variety of areas, including acting as a resource for general in-house legal questions, reviewing contracts with third party vendors, reviewing and/or revising bank agreements, forms, letters, policies, and procedures, and responding to subpoena requests.
- Research various areas of the law and develop and update bank agreements, forms, letters, and policies as necessary.
- Provide legal guidance and prepare agreements, procedures, and other documents necessary for the implementation of projects throughout the bank.
- Review vendor contracts, leases, and agreements.
- Assist with the response to third-party subpoenas.
- Assess and respond to legal questions relating to various subjects.
- Research new developments in the law and their application to bank policies, procedures, business areas/products and forms and provide training on new laws and regulations when necessary.
- Enhance professional growth and expertise through participation in seminars and workshops. Maintain professional affiliations to keep informed of developments and trends in banking law.
- Participate in appropriate bank events and community associations.
- Assist in the support of other bank activities as requested.
Necessary Skills and Attributes
- The ability to balance business partnership with the need to exercise independent judgement and handle potentially sensitive or contentious issues in a constructive manner
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school and active license to practice law in the State of Iowa
- 0-3 years of related legal and financial institution experience