This is a work from home position but candidate MUST be located in Maryland as local court appearances may be required. Only candidates with a Maryland State Bar License will be considered.
At Liberty Mutual, we’re committed to delivering exceptional legal services to our customers around the world, working to uphold and protect our policyholders’ rights and positively impacting our business. As an Insurance Defense Trial Attorney at Liberty Mutual, you’ll join a diverse team that values a healthy work/life balance and enjoy benefits that include eligible performance bonuses, 20 days of flexible time off each year, personal holidays, a pension plan and a 401(k) plan with matching contributions. If you’re looking for a place to build a long-term career while making a positive difference, consider joining our legal team where you’ll represent Liberty Mutual and our policyholders in complex civil litigation matters involving claims for monetary damages or compensation for personal injuries or property damage of mid to high level exposure.
We encourage you to apply and bring your expertise if you’re a:
- Experienced trial lawyer: You’ll manage the entire legal process, from investigation and discovery though trial prep and court proceedings and negotiating settlements as required.
- Strategic partner: Researching all applicable laws and findings, you will develop appropriate legal strategies for all stages of litigation and share them with claims representatives and insured clients.
- People person: You’ll establish and maintain good relationships with claims reps and clients, and occasionally conduct training sessions for Legal, Claims or other departments.
- Effective communicator: You’ll develop and render clear, unambiguous legal opinions and strategies, and draft legal documents, pleadings, motions and opinions.
- Collaborative mentor: You’ll provide guidance and direction to junior attorneys, paralegals or law clerks, while also having opportunities to interact and collaborate with Home Office Legal.
What you’ve got:
- Membership in the Maryland Bar
- Appropriate special licenses to practice before boards or federal courts preferred
- A minimum of five years of successful experience as first chair
- Experience in insurance defense strongly preferred
- Talent for cultivating strong working relationships with internal and external partners
- Aptitude for detail-oriented, analytical thinking
- Persuasive oral and written communication skills
- Broad knowledge of insurance law
- Familiarity with the latest developments in the practice of law, as well as pertinent knowledge in related fields
- Process-oriented mindset, with proven ability to meet deadlines and stay organized
- Proficiency with technologies that reduce costs and facilitate the practice of law and remote work
A JD degree