Under the direction of the President & CEO, the General Counsel will provide support and advice on legal matters related to the general business operations. PPMM is seeking an experienced General Counsel with expertise advising health care organizations on issues such as governance, compliance, corporate and real estate transactions, contracts, and organizational litigation.
As General Counsel, some of what you’ll do includes…
- Under the direction of the President & CEO, the General Counsel will provide support and advice on legal matters related to the general business operations.
- Ensure that the Affiliate conducts its business in compliance with all applicable laws, standards, and practices, including federal and state campaign finance laws, lobbying disclosure requirements, gift and ethics rules, and tax laws governing exempt organizations , including, specifically, the operation of affiliated 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and 527 organizations.
- Manages all litigation filed against or on behalf of the Affiliate, and works with PPFA Litigation and Law and/or outside counsel to draft documents, answer discovery requests, prepare witnesses, and attend depositions, conduct trials.
- Participates in meetings of the various Board of Directors, committees, and other board functions in order to provide reports pertaining to legal activities and consultation relating to board procedures, bylaws, and other legal matters.
What you’ll bring to the role…
- Education: Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited U.S. law school.
- Bar Admission: Admitted to practice in California and satisfy requirements for Registered In-House Counsel Program
- Legal Experience: At least five years of legal experience in a healthcare environment required. Expertise in U.S. not-for-profit corporate and tax matters and/or campaign finance laws required.
Who you are and what you have…
- Ability to operationalize strategic goals into action plan and possess effective analytical skills.
- Possess integrity and compliance – can be relied upon to act ethically.
- Exceptional research, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with the ability to think strategically about both the creative and the execution processes.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive awareness of the impact and implications of decisions and actions on other areas (departments and health centers).
- Shows genuine interest in others’ needs and opinions; establishes rapport; earns the confidence and trust of others; demonstrates consistency between words and actions; delivers on commitments.
- Personal commitment to DEI and lifelong learning.
Our employees are important to us. Our competitive, comprehensive benefits to employees and their families, include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage options
- Generous vacation, sick, and holiday benefits
- 401K Retirement plan with employer contribution
- Voluntary life/AD&D, accident insurance, critical illness insurance
- Medical & dependent care flexible spending account (FSA) options
- Commuter, mass transit, & parking benefits
- Free employee assistance programs, such as UNUM Life Balance, Calm, & Ginger
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (PPMM), the largest Planned Parenthood affiliate in the U.S., providing medical and education services to more than 220,000 people annually at over 30 health center locations in mid-California and northern Nevada.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.