Description:Pharmacists Mutual Insurance has an opening for a General Counsel. This role's primary responsibility is to serve as the legal counsel for the organization. The General Counsel provides legal services on a wide range of matters impacting the organization and advises the organization with respect to its governance and responsibilities with state and federal regulations. The General Counsel leads the Legal and Compliance teams. The General Counsel is the legal counsel of the Board of Directors on all matters unless the Board has selected separate counsel and specifically indicates the General Counsel is not operating as its legal counsel on a particular matter.
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Act as the legal counsel to the Board of Directors and management of the organization. Alert directors or management members when not acting as legal counsel so those impacted may obtain separate counsel if necessary.
- Provides legal guidance and training regarding employment law, corporate policies and procedures, insurance laws and regulations, general corporate laws and regulations, securities laws and regulations, contracts, leases, grants, worker's compensation, and any other laws or regulations that impact the organization.
- Obtains expert legal advice, within approved budget, from independent counsel on any matters necessary in order to fulfil responsibility. Obtain budget variance approval when necessary.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels directors and management in order to develop legal strategies and solutions, often in situations of great political, public relations, financial risk or significance.
- Reviews, researches, interprets, and prepares both written and oral opinions on a wide variety of legal issues.
- Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, bylaws, and other legal documents.
- Ensures the organization's organizational documents, bylaws, and any other governing documents remain in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Represents or oversees the representation of the Company, other than matters arising out of claims presented to the Company by policyholders, in judicial and administrative proceedings, and in negotiations with other parties.
- Works cooperatively with the Senior Vice President of Claims to ensure claims or lawsuits brought against the company by policyholders or other claimants for bad faith or breach of contract are defended and resolved.
- Selects, retains, and supervises outside counsel to obtain legal opinions in matters other than claims presented to the Company by policyholders.
- Works effectively with cross-functional teams to identify areas for improvement and create execution plans to drive the improvements.
- Proposes and leads improvements based on knowledge and practical application of best practices.
- Acts as a subject matter expert both internally and externally by being knowledgeable on industry trends, and communicates as appropriate.
- Ensures the appropriate people strategy is in place to recruit, retain, train & develop staff effectively.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the CEO, COO, or CFO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of law and compliance.
- Knowledge and experience with insurance regulatory law and compliance, and general corporate law.
- Knowledge of employment law and government relations.
- Ability and willingness to aggressively and proactively defend the organization from threats and pursue opportunities in support of its Mission and Vision.
- Strong analytical skills, with high degree of organization and attention to detail.
- Must demonstrate high energy, enthusiasm, and flexibility; must be able to perform under pressure and handle multiple concurrent priorities.
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people and coaching skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
- Proven successful track record and experience in developing information for policies and procedures, as well as successfully executing programs that meet the objectives of excellence in a dynamic environment.
- Strong executive presence to be able to present analysis and recommendations in a clear and compelling manner to both technical and non-technical audiences, including executive management and the Board of Directors.
- Ability to use initiative and apply innovative thinking while effectively managing objectives and goals.
- Ability to work independently to make critical decisions and analyze complex issues.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations, in consultation with outside Legal Counsel when necessary.
- Utilizes sensitive information discreetly and objectively.
- Determines when to escalate concerns to the appropriate level of management.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and manage diverse projects simultaneously.
- Exceptional oral and written presentation skills.
- Utilizes computer and related software effectively.
- Correct English usage, spelling, grammar, vocabulary and punctuation.
Experience and Education Qualifications
- Degree of Juris Doctor from an accredited law school,
- Licensed to Practice Law in at least one state, and
- 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney
- 5 years in a management role in the insurance or financial services industry, law firm, or regulatory body
- Experience with employment law
- Experience with government relations
- Primary work environment is in a climate-controlled office setting
- Position involves significant travel time, including consecutive multiple weeks away from the office