Description:Job Description Summary:
The Moses-Weitzman Health System (“MWHS”) is the parent company of a family of affiliates created by Community Health Center, Inc., one of the country's largest federally qualified health centers. MWHS is an incubator for forward-thinking ideas and initiatives aimed at improving the lives of people and communities experiencing adverse health outcomes due to factors such as class, race/ethnicity, gender, and climate change. In addition to providing corporate services and support to its affiliated companies, MWHS is home to the Weitzman Institute, which leads research, education, and policy initiatives nationally and internationally. Companies under the MWHS deliver and improve the delivery of primary and specialty care through practice transformation, research and innovation, and by training the next generation of health care providers and leaders. The system exerts influence through technical assistance and consultation to public and private entities in the US and globally. Inspiring the Moses/Weitzman Health System is a fundamental belief that health care is a right, not a privilege.
- Title of Position: General Counsel
- Title of Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
- Exemption Status: Exempt
Nature of Position:
General Counsel. Provides legal advice and counsel to MWHS and its separately incorporated subsidiaries. Leads a legal department team that addresses the day-to-day legal concerns and operations of Community Health Center, Inc. Responsible for planning, overseeing, and managing the legal, compliance, privacy and ethical matters for the organization and its affiliated companies. Ensures organizational activities and strategic matters meet legal and regulatory requirements. Member of Executive Leadership Team.
- Education: J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school required.
- Experience: At least 7 years of experience practicing law in a large law firm, government agency, or as in-house counsel. Demonstrated and significant experience in corporate governance, corporate transactions and restructuring, nonprofit/tax, contracts, and finance. Candidates with employment law or health law experience will also be considered.
- Licenses/Certificates/Registration: Licensed to practice law in Connecticut and member in good standing of the Connecticut Bar.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Keen business acumen.
- Strong communicator with sophisticated interpersonal skills.
- Ability to coordinate, prioritize and manage competing demands.
- Strong facilitation and oral and written presentation skills.
- Keen ability to identify legal issues and effectively communicate problems and solutions.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate a team and be a team player.
- Experience managing the legal needs of a dynamic parent corporation and its subsidiaries.
- Substantial experience in the areas of corporate governance, corporate transactions and restructuring, nonprofit/tax, contracts, and finance.
- Familiarity in the following areas helpful but not required: grants, healthcare, employment, and education.
Working Conditions and Physcial Requirements:
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time on a daily basis.
- Physical requirements for this position include: hearing, seeing, speaking, fingering, and repetitive motions.
- This position requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force and/or an insignificant amount in order to lift, carry, pull, or move objects.
- Ability to travel (with possible overnight stays) as needed
- Oversees and manages delivery of legal services and resources, including the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of outside counsel, to facilitate and accomplish organization goals, initiatives, strategies and priorities.
- Provides counsel on legal, business and operations matters to the Chief Executive Officer and other officers of MWHS and the subsidiaries as well as, senior management of MWHS and the subsidiaries and other decision making or executing groups and individuals.
- Addresses the day-to-day legal concerns of CHC.
- Attends meetings of the MWHS Board of Directors and advises the Board in legal matters as requested.
- Coordinates the organization's response to all legal matters affecting the organization, including monitoring, and managing any transactions, litigation, administrative actions, disputes and demands.
- Interprets and ensures compliance with applicable laws, rulings, regulations, and contracts for the organization, as well as conducting research and analysis of specific legal questions and preparing or coordinate outside counsel's the preparation of memoranda, opinions and position papers.
- Advises the organization on potential legal risks of business decisions and practices, provides preventive counseling, and develops strategy with both management and outside counsel in response to civil litigation and regulatory inquiries, and assists in the execution of such strategies as requested and cost-effectively manages the resources required to address those matters.
- Drafts, negotiates, reviews and revises contracts for the organization and its subsidiaries, oversees the organization's contracting process and use of the contract management system and works with others in the organization to monitor compliance with contract provisions.
- Develops, communicates, and monitors policies and procedures for the organization's standards of legal and ethical conduct.
- Provides or coordinates counsel to Human Resources Department on legal issues involved in terminations, disciplinary actions, diversity, and equal employment opportunity.
- Keeps abreast of legislative changes that may affect the organization and recommends opportunities or required changes to take advantage of or ensure compliance with new legal and regulatory changes.
- Manage and supervise all MWHS Legal Department staff and coordinate with CHC Legal Department.
- Prepare and present to the Board of Directors regular updates on compliance matters.