Description:A Family Law Attorney is seeking a full-time staff attorney with an interest in family law and public interest work. In joining our energetic and passionate team, you will gain tremendous opportunities to develop your legal skills, obtain courtroom experience, interact with community partners, and make a difference for clients.
A Family Law Attorney is a non-profit legal services organization serving Milwaukee & Waukesha Counties. We provide legal assistance to over 1000 individuals and families annually.
The attorney will represent clients primarily in family law matters, with a significant portion of clients being survivors of domestic abuse. Approximately 25% of the attorney's caseload will be devoted to representing Spanish-speaking clients. The attorney would also be expected to engage in the appropriate training to accept guardian ad litem appointments. Other case responsibilities may include a small portion of criminal misdemeanor matters, depending on the attorney's interests. In addition, the attorney will help support A Family Law Attorney's community education and outreach programs. This position provides significant client interaction, in-court representation, and public speaking responsibilities.
- Law degree and admission to the State Bar of Wisconsin required
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish strongly preferred
- One to five years of family law legal experience preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to public service
- Experience working with low-income and diverse populations
- Must obtain guardian ad litem certification as soon as possible after beginning employment