Description:The Housing Staff Attorney will focus on preventing evictions and will also represent tenants in other matters related to housing which may include repair and maintenance issues, housing discrimination, retaliatory evictions, and security deposit retention. The Housing Attorney will work to address systemic barriers to reduce evictions, address housing conditions, and improve tenant access to justice.
- Provide direct representation to tenants facing eviction to prevent the loss of housing, address housing conditions, and assert fair housing rights.
- Address systemic issues such as substandard housing, self-help evictions, wrongfully withheld security deposits, evictions to enforce land sale contracts, and other matters related to rental housing.
- Participate in community outreach activities such as housing clinics.
- Graduate of an accredited law school and current member of Georgia Bar.
- Experience working with persons with low incomes and a commitment to social justice.
- Working knowledge of Georgia landlord-tenant law and experience representing tenants in Georgia courts preferable.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with different audiences through public speaking, writing, partnership development, and community education events.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to perform tasks necessary to maintain a substantial active caseload of advocacy and litigation.
- Ability to analyze, write, and present ideas and legal concepts clearly and concisely.
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team in a professional and collaborative manner.
- Computer literacy, which includes familiarity using email, Excel, Word, SharePoint, LegalServer, and other computer programs.
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid Georgia drivers license.
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly valued.