Description:The Berkshire District Attorney's Office seeks to hire a full0time attorney to join the District Court Prosecution team. Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
The Berkshire District Attorney's Office serves all 32 cities & towns of Berkshire County and is responsible for all criminal prosecutions in Berkshire County. The Office handles cases in the County's District Courts, Juvenile Courts and Superior Court and is responsible for all appeals to the State Appeals Court & Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. The Office provides critical services and programs to victims and their families and to the community at large. The Office is a Commonwealth agency, established in accordance with MGL Chapter 12, Sections 12 and 13.
- Prosecute all aspects of criminal cases in primary and jury sessions of the three divisions of District Court in Berkshire County;
- Review police reports and charging decisions made by police agencies and make appropriate recommendations and changes as needed;
- Handle arraignments in court, make bail requests, motions for conditions of release, motions for detention such as dangerousness hearings and bail revocation hearings as appropriate;
- Provide mandatory discovery to defendants/defense counsel;
- Handle all pre-trial motions, evidentiary and non-evidentiary motions to suppress, and dismiss, and to prepare written memoranda and briefs where appropriate;
- Review case files, applicable statutes and case law, victim information and input, and determine an appropriate recommendation for case resolution;
- Handle any mental health commitment matters which impact criminal cases;
- Handle case resolution by way of plea, bench or jury trial;
- Follow the mandates of the Victim's Bill of Rights;
- Handle cases in Massachusetts Appeals Court and the Supreme Judicial Court.