Description:At 8x8 Inc. [Nasdaq:EGHT] we put communications at the heart of our business and build technology that allows people to connect anytime, anywhere they are in the world, and on any device. XCaaS - the 8x8 eXperience Communications Platform - brings together Employee and Customer Experience, enabling hybrid workforces across the globe to connect, collaborate, and delight customers, while providing businesses with real-time communications analytics, intelligence and unique insights.
Learn more on our company website at www.8x8.com and follow our pages on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
The 8x8 Legal team plays a critical role at 8x8, advising on, and making, decisions that impact the entire company. Practical legal and business judgment, competence, ability to collaborate and communicate across functions, workload management and a client-focused approach are critical to success on our team. Working in a global, fast-paced technology company also demands that we be solutions-oriented and comfortable operating in a rapidly changing environment.
As Director, Legal, you will be primarily responsible for global employment and litigation/dispute resolution matters. You will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer. You will work closely with members of the Global 8x8 Legal team and business leaders throughout the company, but especially with our global HR, finance, security, and operations teams.
This role may be fully remote or hybrid if you live close to our Campbell, CA office.
Employment - The ideal candidate will have strong expertise and experience in global employment law, including recruiting, hiring, internal investigations, disciplinary and performance issues, HR advice and support, and employment litigation. This role requires subject matter expertise in both U.S. employment law and employment laws and regulations in Canada, Europe (including UK and Romania, among other countries), and APAC (including Singapore, Philippines and Australia/New Zealand, among others).
Litigation/Disputes - The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, solid judgment, and an ability to dive into and take ownership of litigation and dispute matters, including employment and commercial matters. This role will work on and direct all stages of litigation including pre-dispute engagement, initial case assessment, pleadings, factual investigation, discovery, motions, mediation, trial, appeal, and settlement.
This is a unique opportunity for the right attorney to help define and execute company strategy on a global level for employment and litigation matters.
- Deliver business-oriented, risk-based advice, and counsel on the full range of employment law issues including hiring, disciplinary actions, dismissals, complex employee relations issues, restructurings/redundancies, works councils, compensation and benefits, leaves, and employee privacy matters.
- Partner with the global HR Organization to create and revise global and locally compliant policies and procedures consistent with our values.
- Partner with the HR Organization and Management on works council and collective employee relations issues.
- Partner with the Security and HR Organization on internal employee investigations.
- Project manage global employment projects.
- Manage employment claims and litigation matters.
- Monitor and maintain knowledge of changes in global related employment laws and regulations and industry practices that impact the business and provide practical advice and support to the business regarding the same.
- Identify, retain, and manage outside counsel to assist in litigation and providing specialized legal advice.
- Manage all aspects of litigation disputes, including formulating litigation strategy and overseeing outside counsel.
- Work closely with various legal, product, engineering, and business team members to identify, counsel and mitigate litigation risks.
- Conduct factual investigations/interviews.
- Stay informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends that could impact the company.
- Research complex legal issues and topics.
- Draft pre-litigation correspondence or subpoena responses to opposing parties and/or counsel.
- Oversee and improve internal processes and tools related to litigation.
- Manage outside counsel to provide accurate budgets, stay within budgets, and provide accurate accruals.
- Partner with cross-functional and regional teams and provide support on legal matters of varying complexity, sensitivity, and tangibility.
- Manage and support legal team member reporting directly into this role.
- Good judgment, self-motivation and sense of integrity; ability to understand, align with and anticipate the company's goals and priorities, to handle complex matters independently – with minimal supervision – and to take a creative, solutions- and business-oriented approach to your work.
- 12 or more years of relevant employment and litigation experience (firm and/or in-house experience); prior experience working in-house at a multi-national company and in high tech, a plus.
- Experience of employment law across a variety of North American, European, and APAC, and a desire to develop and expand expertise.
- Substantial experience with commercial, employment, and IP litigation and disputes including in arbitrations as well as state and federal courts.
- Broad litigation experience, including but not limited to managing discovery, examining witnesses, drafting motions, and guiding and executing strategy.
- Strong academic credentials and J.D. from a nationally recognized law school, with membership in good standing to at least one US state bar.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong and deep working relationships with internal stakeholders over multiple geographical locations.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to manage and prioritize a substantial workload of short-term time-sensitive projects while still completing long-term projects in accordance with desired timelines.
- Ability to communicate clearly and promptly in response to legal requests and to build trust with internal and external parties.
- Demonstrated a global mindset and sensitivity to all cultures .
$156,750 - $319,375 a year
The salary range is above.
The compensation range reflects the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. 8x8 has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate's primary work location. Further, individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience, knowledge, success, education and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time. Certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including discretionary merit increases, bonus and/or stock. Certain roles have the opportunity to earn sales variable compensation incentives based on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
8x8 is proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.