About the Opportunity
Settle is on a mission to change the way that businesses pay other businesses. Since the company’s inception in 2019, we’ve been building a cashflow management platform that allows founders and small business owners to more easily manage their company’s financial health with a mix of accounts payable and flexible financing tools.
We are looking for an experienced Counsel (Litigation) to play a key role in our collection strategy. As the Counsel (Litigation), you will take responsibility for leading recovery efforts on defaulted commercial credit agreements. This will involve representing Settle in court as well as working with external counsel on certain cases. In this role you will work closely with our in-house paralegal, Associate General Counsels, and our Credit and Operations teams. You’ll have the opportunity to own initiatives from inception to completion and play a critical role in implementing and revising collection and recovery processes to scale with growth of the company. This position is remote, but must be located in the NYC Metropolitan area in order to attend weekly court appearances on Settle’s behalf.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Engage with senior internal and external stakeholders/legal representatives to negotiate payment plans, settlement offers and dispute resolutions
- Draft Default and Payoff letters, Settlements, and other workout documents; review documents drafted by paralegals and external counsel
- Advise key internal stakeholders on legal debt collection strategies and recovery opportunities
- Manage our litigation docket; prepare legal documentation, initiate court proceedings
- Represent Settle in the relevant courts on a daily and weekly basis
- Manage a portfolio of high value customer debts and legal claims
- Plan and organize workload to ensure Court deadlines are met; manage litigation calendar
What Sets You Apart
- At least 4 years of experience with creditors rights, debt recovery, and litigation
- Admission to the New York State Bar required
- Ability to drive legal debt collection and resolve commercial credit disputes
- Solid organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize in a high-volume environment
- Excellent leadership, motivational and relationship building skills
- Self-motivated who can work with direction but little supervision, and possesses a willingness to take ownership of projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to work with many different stakeholders.
- A great teammate, pitching in wherever needed, whether or not it fits squarely into your role or expertise.
- Experience with arbitration (preferably American Arbitration Association) is a plus
This role has an annual starting salary range of $125,000 - $160,000 + equity + benefits. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to your individual skills and experience.
Who We Are
Settle is a FinTech company on a mission to help businesses thrive by taking the worry out of cash flow management. We’re building software making it super easy for finance teams to track, pay, and reconcile invoices. We pair that with lending products to offer our customers the power and flexibility to choose who, when, and how to pay their customers.
Our small but growing team was founded in San Francisco along with an engineering hub in Lviv, Ukraine. We’re building a fully distributed team and support you working from wherever you are. We're well funded (Series-B) with backing by Ribbit, Stripes, Kleiner Perkins, Founder’s Fund, SciFi Ventures, and others. Our benefits are competitive, our time off is flexible, and our compensation packages include equity.
Check out this Techcrunch article (https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/17/settle-bill-payments-e-commerce/) and Kleiner blog post (https://www.kleinerperkins.com/perspectives/settle-series-A).
Our Commitment to You
At Settle we know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is critical to our impact and success. We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.