Closing Date: 25th March, 2023
The Counsel, Cybersecurity provides oversight, legal advice, and support to TD Bank (the "Company") management and business units. Functions as a subject matter legal expert in cybersecurity. Provides high-level legal advice to specific business areas, may prepare memoranda to management, litigation documents and forms, and participates in major legal actions. Responsible for foreseeing and protecting the Company against legal risks.
Must be eligible for employment under regulatory standards applicable to the position.
The Counsel, Cybersecurity will be part of the U.S. Regulatory & Investigations Hub team within the U.S. Litigation group. Among other things, the Counsel, Cybersecurity will:
- Advise and lead efforts on cyber preparedness, development of cybersecurity procedures and protocols, data loss prevention, forensic investigation, and advise on implementation of related regulatory changes.
- Have a willingness to learn and assist with privacy-related issues, including data breach response, and state and federal privacy law compliance such has GLBA and CPRA, although no prior privacy experience is required.
- Serve as legal advisory and assist with cybersecurity-related incident response.
- Serve as a primary US Legal Advisor to TD's Fusion Intelligence Centre (cybersecurity, fraud management, incident response, investigations, physical security).
- Provide guidance enterprise-wide on cybersecurity regulations and frameworks, regulator communications, ransomware risks, third-party cyber risk management, and vendor contracts.
- Participate in table-top exercises and real-time incident response and contribute to TD Legal's Cybersecurity Task Force. Interact with cybersecurity professionals and provide advice on emerging technologies, testing, data collection, and storage and other questions
- Supervise external legal counsel providing advice or other legal services and may manage paralegal and administrative staff, assigning responsibilities and evaluating results.
- Work closely with the General Counsel, Managing Counsel, Senior Counsel, and other department attorneys and external legal counsel on specific legal issues related to cybersecurity and assist in the management of expenditures for external counsel.
- Work collaboratively with TD's cybersecurity and privacy legal team in Canada on enterprise and cross-border issues.
- Demonstrate the highest professional ethical and behavioral standards and comply with all applicable Bar Rules and Codes of Professional Responsibility, and corporate ethical and behavioral standards.
Key facets of this role include:
- Rapidly and uniformly respond to and manage cybersecurity legal issues which carry significant regulatory, reputational and/or economic risk;
- Work with senior members of TD’s legal department in developing procedures and systems;
- Mentor and provide leadership to professional staff;
- Have a willingness to become a full subject matter expert in the area of cybersecurity and a willingness to develop skills related to privacy.
- Must be eligible for employment under regulatory standards applicable to the position.
- Bachelors degree required
- JD from accredited law school required
- 5+ Years of related experience
- Admission to appropriate State Bar in good standing and licensed to practice law in the State
- Basic understanding of banking/financial services operations and issues
- Ability to simplify, problem solve, multitask and work effectively against deadlines
- Integrity and high moral standards
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong legal research and analysis skills
- Detail oriented
- Must be able to apply legal knowledge to the business
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong teamwork and client skills
- Highly motivated
- May supervise administrative and paralegal staff and junior attorneys