About the job
StoicLane Counsel, Corporate
Firm Overview -
StoicLane is a long-term growth platform making controlling and strategic minority investments in the Finance, Insurance & Real Estate (“FIRE”) verticals. The firm works closely with its portfolio companies by harnessing the power of data and technology to bring better service and quality to consumers. StoicLane Principals have contributed to creating over $6B of equity value for investors since 2004 in various entrepreneurial ventures and private investments.
The position is based in Chicago, IL. Start Date: Immediately
We are looking for a Counsel, Corporate to join our growing legal team. StoicLane’s Counsel, Corporate will provide M&A and financing transaction support and be responsible for a broad range of corporate matters and agreements, corporate governance, subsidiary management and develop and implement policies and processes to support the company’s growth acquisition strategy. The Counsel, Corporate will collaborate and work cross-functionally across multiple teams, including our investments, finance & accounting, HR & strategy teams. This is an exciting opportunity to shape your role in a fast-growing organization.
- Reporting to the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, the Counsel, Corporate will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Support all M&A and financing transactions, including debt facility and equity investments and debt facility compliance and post-closing matters
- Advise on StoicLane corporate governance and Board of Directors support
- Subsidiary management including managing corporate governance and corporate records for subsidiaries and assisting with state filings, including annual reports
- Assist with equity administration
- Review, negotiate, and draft a broad array of transaction agreements, including purchase agreements, TSAs, ancillary deal documents, debt facility, equity offering agreements, and commercial agreements, including procurement and professional engagements
- Opportunity to assist with a wide variety of commercial matters, including at the operating company level
- Provide practical and professional advice to a variety of stakeholder and cross-functional partners
- JD degree and licensed to practice law in the US
- 3-5 years of relevant in house or law firm experience, including substantive experience drafting and negotiating a broad array of corporate agreements
- M&A experience required
- Highly collaborative
- Ability to self-start, take ownership, drive projects to completion and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and interact effectively with internal and external clients
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proven track record of accountability, attention to detail, and organization in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Chicago-based preferred
StoicLane is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status or any other protected characteristic.