Position at Tokio Marine HCC
Tokio Marine HCC – D&O Group, a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies, has an exciting opportunity for a Claims Counsel in our office in Farmington, CT. A Claims Counsel analyzes coverage for claims submitted under the applicable policy form. The duties of a Claims Counsel include discussing claim facts and coverage issues with insureds, defense counsel and/or coverage counsel. Claims Counsel must possess critical thinking and strong oral/written communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews submitted claims for coverage and make a determination as to whether a matter is covered under the applicable policy.
- Investigates coverage issues.
- Drafts actions plans, including coverage recommendations, for the approval of claims managers.
- Establishes and revises claim reserves based on claim developments and counsel liability assessments.
- Drafts coverage determination letters, including reservation of rights and denial letters.
- Appoints defense and/or coverage counsel, as appropriate.
- Obtains updates from defense counsel and/or coverage counsel and/or the Insured, as appropriate.
- Updates claim diary as needed based on activity.
- Authorizes settlements based on liability and other considerations after receiving approval from claims management.
- Reviews, approves, and reimburses the Insured for legal, expert/vendor invoices and settlement.
- Conducts detailed bill reviews to ensure appropriate payment.
- Maintains a claim file by accurately documenting all communications, activity, etc.
- Communicates with brokers or reinsured clients to obtain information necessary for processing claims.
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree.
- Two (2) to (5) years of relevant legal experience, or two-plus (2+) years of relevant claims handling experience.
Intermediate proficiency and experience in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced organizational and analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, managing time and resources to accomplish multiple tasks in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to conduct oneself professionally in varied business settings.
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking energetic and confident individuals to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies is an equal-opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.