Closing Date: 18th June, 2023
Description:The University of Alabama System is receiving applications for the position of University Counsel. This is an on-site position based in Huntsville on the campus of The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH). Reporting to the Chief University Counsel, the University Counsel provides legal advice and services to the administration, faculty, and staff at UAH, and prepares, reviews and recommends institutional policies, procedures, guidelines and other documents as needed.
- Demonstrated success in effectively serving a broad, diverse and demanding clientele
- Excellent legal research, analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in working cohesively on team projects
- Established ability to exercise independent judgment
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Strong academic credentials
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Alabama
- Three (3) years of relevant legal experience preferred
- Managing administrative matters
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing transactional documents
- Providing legal advice and counsel, particularly in the areas of procurement, privacy, human resources, benefits, and other business and administrative areas
- Assisting the Chief University Counsel as needed, including research and drafting
- Other duties as assigned
Salary is commensurate with skill level and years of experience of applicant.
In addition to competitive pay and an emphasis on a healthy work-life balance, the University of Alabama System offers a valuable and comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; generous vacation, personal, sick and holiday leave; access to matching contributions in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan; a tuition assistance program for employees, their spouse and eligible dependents; and life insurance. For more information on the benefits package, please visit the System's Benefits webpage (https://uasystem.edu/home/employee-resources/benefits).
All eligible employees are required by state law to participate in the Teachers' Retirement System (https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rsa-al.gov%2Ftrs%2F&data=05%7C01%7Cjtubbs%40uasystem.edu%7C870f561ee5424dc7b33008db5d26ab5a%7C2a00728ef0d040b4a4e8ce433f3fbca7%7C0%7C0%7C638206192887187453%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=krBe2Nr4rJCjSysktZhTgPSLxL48vZl5OndJh9JSsAY%3D&reserved=0). This defined benefit program provides eligible, retired employees with a specific benefit payable monthly for the lifetime of the member. The value of this monthly retirement payment generally increases with each year of service. Upon service retirement, employees are also eligible to join the state's Public Education Employee Health Insurance Plan (PEEHIP).
Applications (to include a letter of interest, resume, unofficial law school transcript, and three professional references) must all be submitted online. To apply, please visit: https://uasystem.isolvedhire.com/jobs/
Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction before a hiring decision is made.
The University of Alabama System is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), including an EOE of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.