GEICO is searching for an Attorney I, you will work under close supervision, DEFENDS lawsuits against GEICO insureds and represents GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), and PIP suits filed in courts of limited jurisdiction and, at the discretion of the Managing Attorney, in courts of unlimited jurisdiction.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- Researches laws and preparing legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda.
- Renders opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department.
- Prepares and handling pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath based on jurisdiction.
- Defends by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable.
- Meets deadlines to respond to pleadings and correspondence.
- Adheres to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies and operating principles.
- Meets attendance standard of the business location, to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with management and co-workers.
- Must be able, with or without accommodation, to perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to, thinking (concentrating, focusing, assimilating information), reading, writing, listening, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
- Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
- Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers, and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must have the following education and experience:
- Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
The safety of our associates is GEICO’s highest priority. If you are required to come into the office for licensing, training, or orientation, please note that we have implemented a variety of safety precautions within our offices. Additional safety precautions include no-contact temperature screening stations, added signage for associates on common-area occupancy limits, socially distanced workstations, and increased cleaning procedures for all areas.
As an Associate, you’ll enjoy our Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins on the date of hire. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.