Closing Date: 7th April, 2023
This Public Notice Flyer is a repost of EDA-OCC-23-11872183-PNF. If you wish to be considered please re-apply.
This vacancy is for A Attorney Advisor (Public Notice Flyer) in the Economic Development Administration within the Department of Commerce within the Department of Commerce, located in Washington, DC.
EDA is seeking two quality attorneys under special hiring authority provided under the Regional Technology and Innovation Hub (Tech Hubs) Program (15 U.S.C. 3722a) and Distressed Area Recompete Pilot Program (Recompete) (15 U.S.C. 3722b) to interpret these new laws, draft notices of funding opportunity for the Programs, answer novel questions of legal interpretation for these new laws, help the program design operations to support the new Programs, and review grants that fund for projects funded under the new laws.
The incumbent serves as an Attorney Advisor in EDA's Office of Chief Counsel (OCC). The incumbent ensures that EDA complies with applicable legal requirements imposed on its programs by statute, regulation, case law, Executive Order, OMB guidance, or controlling policy. As such, this attorney will be responsible for, among other things, the legal sufficiency of EDA grant or cooperative agreement investments made under the Tech Hubs or Recompete Programs. To fulfill that role, the incumbent maintains close client relations with Headquarters staff.
As a Attorney Advisor (Public Notice Flyer), you will perform the following duties:
- Support the Chief Counsel who serves as the primary individual responsible for legal and policy advice covering all aspects of EDA's operations and programs.
- Be proficient in conducting legal research and analyzing federal and state statutes, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Prepare legal opinions that include an analysis of facts and evidence, resolution of facts and legal issues, and recommendations for the client, as appropriate.
- Provide legal advice on a full range of issues relating to the agency's economic development assistance programs, the review of audits, contracts, grant applications and award documentation, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) inquiries, and other assigned tasks.
- This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Attorney Advisor (Public Notice Flyer) GS-0905-14/15 FPL: 15 positions within the Economic Development Administration in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation. This may include a credit check, a review of financial issues, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use of possession of drugs.
- A trial period may be required.
- Selective Service: Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/)
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application.
- All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- License required: No
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE form 450): Yes
- Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) Expense: Will not be paid
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not have been in the federal government.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
1. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Must be a law school graduate with a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association and; (You must submit transcripts.)
2. ACTIVE BAR MEMBERSHIP in good standing in one of the 50 United States, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands. (You must submit proof.) AND
To qualify at the GS-14 or GS-15 level:
Minimum Requirements: Typically requires a minimum of three (3) years of relevant legal experience.
Please see Qualifications section for more information.
Background Investigation: This position is designated as Non-sensitive/Low Risk and requires that a background investigation be conducted and favorably adjudicated in order to establish security eligibility. Please note this position is being filled under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2023's Hiring Authority as an employee under the Excepted Service for a period not-to-exceed two (2) years.
Please submit a detailed resume (federal government format) and cover letter to EDACareer@eda.gov. The subject line of the email should specify:
- That this is a Tech Hubs/Recompete position;
- title of position;
- geographic location of the employment opportunity (i.e., Atlanta Regional Office; Austin Regional Office; Chicago Regional Office, Denver Reginal Office; Philadelphia Regional Office; Seattle Regional Office; Washington DC Office).
- Veterans' preference is not applicable to this position.
Please DO NOT put your SSN on pages within your application package. Privacy Act - Privacy Act Notice (PL 93-579): The information requested here is used to determine qualifications for employment and is authorized under Title 5 U.S.C. 3302 and 3361.
Signature: Before you are hired, you will be required to sign and certify the accuracy of the information in your application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
See 'Qualifications' Section.
The competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of research strategies and techniques sufficient to research the most complex legal issues. The issues researched are almost always factually complex and are in areas of the law which are often in a continual state of evolution, thus requiring atypical and innovative research strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse clients and constituencies on varied and complex topics in writing clearly, concisely and persuasively, with particular emphasis on the ability to analyze and explain complex legal issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally with diverse clients and constituencies on varied and complex topics and independently present legal conclusions to adjudicatory authorities.
- Ability to maintain effective working and reporting relationships with professional peers, support staff and management officials.
See 'How to Apply' Section.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Kindly refer to the following link for a detailed description of the job - https://www.usajobs.gov/job/713794800