Description:Who Are We?
UpGuard's mission is to protect the world's data. We obsessively seek out elegant, robust ways to enable our customers to find, acknowledge, and remediate cyber risk. With UpGuard, organizations leverage our security expertise and software to automate what was once laborious, spreadsheet-driven processes–whether it's monitoring the attack surface of hundreds of vendors or assessing the security of their own infrastructure. UpGuard is used by some of the world's largest, fastest-growing, and most innovative companies.
Why Are We Hiring for This Role?
We are looking for an experienced Associate General Counsel (AGC) who will build an in-house legal function to support our evolving needs as we scale our pre-IPO business. Reporting to the COO, the AGC will be an individual contributor providing global enterprise-wide leadership and forging substantive relationships throughout the Company as well as with the Company's external stakeholder groups. This is a perfect position for an ambitious lawyer who wants to be a General Counsel of a technology company in 2-5 years.
What Will You Accomplish?
- Partner with team members and stakeholders across UpGuard to provide pragmatic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing the goals of the business
- Advise on legal matters crucial to our fast-paced high-growth environment, including human resources and employment, data security and privacy, marketing, product, intellectual property, contract law, regulatory and trade compliance, and corporate governance
- Lead problem resolution with prospects, customers, partners, and others as required
- Build and improve upon the necessary processes, systems, and documentation to comply with applicable laws and/or company policies
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks; propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Build the necessary processes, systems, and documentation to improve legal department processes and resources.
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review policies and templates for internal and external uses
- Review, draft, and negotiate complex agreements; resolve issues escalated by Contract Management
- Provide counseling to product and engineering teams on products and features throughout the development lifecycle, and identify potential legal issues
- Identify data security and privacy issues, conduct privacy impact assessments, and advise on privacy compliance requirements and how to operationalize them (e.g., GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, Australian Privacy Act)
- Manage global trade and regulatory issues working with impacted departments to implement scalable solutions for compliance
- Counsel human resources on people matters.
What Do We Need from You?
- 8-10 years minimum of legal experience with at least 5 years in-house, preferably in an international company and B2B SaaS company
- JD/LLB or local law degree equivalent and admission to and in good standing with the local governing body
- Significant breadth of knowledge and experience in as many of the following areas as possible: Commercial contracts, corporate governance, data security and privacy, employment and human resources, intellectual property, marketing (B2B), product, intellectual property, regulatory and trade compliance
- Experience working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently and effectively resolve business issues
- A strong mix of legal, technical, and business acumen will allow you to understand and discuss complex technical issues and data flows
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach addressing business needs while protecting UpGuard's interests
- Experience providing legal support on a global scale; supporting teams across multiple time zones and cultures and in hybrid and fully remote environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work effectively with all business functions throughout the organization highly responsive and customer service-oriented attitude
- A high degree of attention to detail and prioritization in the face of competing deadlines
- Sound and practical commercial acumen
- Previous experience taking a company public and in mergers and acquisitions would be an added advantage.
What's in It for You?
- Rapidly growing user base: Work directly with some of the world's largest, fastest-growing, and most innovative companies
- Interesting problems, at scale: Deeply explore the ever-evolving world of cybersecurity, with a platform processing billions of data points daily
- Learn from industry-leading experts: Our security research has been featured in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Washington Post, TechCrunch, Bloomberg, Gizmodo, Engadget, Forbes, ZDNet, and The Guardian
- Impact: See the impact of your work on a daily basis, with data and impact available on dashboards you have access to
- Generous compensation: Competitive base salary and equity
- Great perks: Grocery and gym reimbursements, flexible work arrangements, learning and development stipend, and generous PTO package
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check and reference checks. Also please note that at this time, we cannot support candidates requiring visa sponsorship or relocation. Apologies.