The purpose of the position is to provide legal counsel and support to the University's schools and administrative units regarding a wide variety of issues relating to intellectual property, research, and technology transfer, including advising on:
- compliance with relevant laws and regulations in the areas of human subjects research, animal welfare, grant compliance, research integrity, conflicts of interest, laboratory safety, foreign influence, export controls, and privacy and data security
- development and implementation of University policies in the areas of intellectual property and research
- sponsored research contracting including related funding and compliance requirements
- complex commercial transactions involving intellectual property, including in the areas of tech transfer, licensing, academic collaborations, and technology procurement
- ownership, registration, protection, and enforcement of copyrights, trademarks, and patents
- review of conflicts of interest and commitment and development of related management plans
- legal issues relating to start-up ventures and entrepreneurial activities, book publishing, the arts, online education, Internet and social media, and library operations
- litigation, disputes, audits, and investigations involving research and intellectual property.
The position will focus primarily on NYU's New York City campus but will also support NYU's global campuses. The position will also collaborate with colleagues at NYU Langone Medical Center and will assist with a variety of other corporate and transactional matters for the University, as needed. The position will liaise closely with outside counsel and University stakeholders and serve as a subject matter expert within the Office of General Counsel on matters relating to intellectual property and research.
Juris Doctorate (J.D.) Bachelor's degree and JD (from ABA accredited law school) required.
Required Experience:7+ years related professional legal experience in the areas of intellectual property, research, and/or tech transfer, including substantial hands-on experience drafting and negotiating contracts and advising on policy and compliance issues.
7+ years Mix of law firm and in-house experience within an academic institution, medical center, government agency, or corporation with substantial research activities.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Legal knowledge and experience in the areas of intellectual property, research, and/or tech transfer. Excellent oral and written communication and creative problem-solving skills, the ability to work collegially with diverse personnel, demonstrated judgment and discretion, strong analytical skills. Must be highly ethical and a team player.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge of legal issues relevant to universities and/or non-profit organizations preferred, including in the areas of sponsored research and tech transfer. Experience working for organizations with a global presence is a plus.