The Assistant General Counsel will lead a team of attorneys and paralegals within the Regulatory & Risk Division providing legal and regulatory advice to the chief operating office.
Responsibilities will include:
- Partner with executive business leaders on significant issues that arise, focusing on providing holistic legal and strategic advice and coordinating legal department touch points
- Assume a leadership role in providing cross-platform and multi-disciplinary legal advice on management of enterprise consent order implementation and other priority issues.
- Oversee a team of professionals responsible for providing legal and strategic support and advice
- Manage overall legal support regulatory inquiries and supervisory exams, while collaborating closely with the Litigation and Enforcement teams on related enforcement actions and litigation
- Develop and maintain relationships with key constituencies, including management and senior executive business leaders, risk and compliance executives, regulators, as well as other relevant external constituencies
- Develop aligned partnerships with Legal Department leadership and team members supporting impacted lines of business, focusing particularly on consent order and other priority items
- Foster individual team member growth and development in substantive areas and help build transferrable skill sets.
The successful candidate for this role will demonstrate the leadership skill necessary to collaboratively build and lead a high-performing team of legal professionals to drive business results through leadership effectiveness and team member engagement; contributing to broad enterprise strategy with a One Wells Fargo lens; and furthering the company's strong risk management culture by living the Expectations of Wells Fargo. This collaborative leader must be capable of initiating action and managing change. The position requires a leader with strong relationship management, influencing, vision and execution skills. A key differentiator will be the ability to understand and operate successfully in a complex, heavily matrixed corporate environment. The role requires a sense of urgency, passion for excellence and results, and personal accountability for achievement and outcomes.
Required Qualifications, US:
- 8+ years of Legal experience, or equivalent experience demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- 4+ years of management experience
- Active State Bar membership or the equivalent in a country outside the United States
- Demonstrated effectiveness at change management in a dynamic environment, requiring coordination across numerous constituencies.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, interpersonal skills; excellent organizational skills; superior judgment and attention to detail; flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with clients and colleagues in providing legal advice, and to operate successfully in a horizontal fashion across the organization.
- Demonstrated strong judgment and leadership in providing strategic guidance to senior management on complex legal and related risk management.
- Significant, well-developed expertise in counseling business clients and providing practical advice and strategic guidance on legal and reputational risks arising from complex consumer protection matters, including expertise in supporting complex litigation and regulatory enforcement matters.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly and effectively understand business objectives; analyze complex laws and regulations in the context of the overall risk environment; and provide effective, solution-oriented legal advice, particularly in a high-stress, high-risk environment.
- Demonstrated ability to organize high-functioning and efficient teams of legal and non-legal professionals to maintain engagement and effectiveness.
- High comfort level with both uncertainty and large group dynamics.
- Proven track record of successful communications with regulatory agencies and the development of productive relationships with regulatory counterparts.
- Focus on cost-effective use of outside counsel and vendors.
- Strong track record identifying, escalating and mitigating regulatory, legal, operational and reputational risk.
Due to a city-wide mandate in New York City, all individuals who perform in-person work or interact with the public during business must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or qualify for an approved accommodation to be exempt from being fully vaccinated. Currently, this position falls under the scope of this mandate.
$249,500.00 - $518,300.00 Annual