Description:Join a leading fintech company that's democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We're seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
About the role:
Robinhood's legal team is looking for an attorney with extensive experience in broker-dealer regulatory, compliance, clearing, and operational issues to support Robinhood Securities, LLC (“RHS”), our securities clearing firm. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility and patience. This is an exciting opportunity to work at the intersection of law, technology, and finance – and contribute to our mission to democratize finance for all.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Navigating complex regulatory frameworks to help the business design and implement innovative financial products and services.
- Demonstrating excellent judgment and advising senior leaders at the company on complex legal questions and issues.
- Advising on the application of new or anticipated legal requirements and regulatory guidance to the firm's systems, policies and procedures
- Managing interactions with regulators, outside counsel, and other parties.
- Serving as a subject matter expert on securities and capital markets, order routing, execution, clearance, and settlement questions and providing legal analysis and recommendations that impact product design, regulatory approvals, and compliance.
- Working with trade associations to represent Robinhood's interests with respect to topics such as market structure, best execution, order routing, clearance, and settlement.
- Partnering cross-functionally with other parts of the legal team, including Government Affairs, Litigation, and Regulatory Enforcement colleagues, and outside of the legal team, including Product, Brokerage, Engineering, and Compliance colleagues.
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- 10+ years of legal practice experience, with at least 8+ years in the financial services regulatory field
- Experience building and leading teams
- Demonstrated good judgment and provision of advice related to complicated legal issues to senior management
- Expertise in researching, applying, and communicating legal requirements in the financial services space in a regulatory context
- Direct prior experience with financial services regulators (including FINRA and the SEC)
- Clearing broker experience, including advising on compliance with clearing agency rules and regulations, e.g., DTCC/NSCC and OCC.
- Demonstrated leadership advising senior management as to significant legal issues
- Experience negotiating clearing broker agreements, including clearing, stock lending, and bank sweep agreements, and establishing Rule 15c3-3 accounts at banks
- At least two of the following work experiences:
- Work at a top law firm in a securities practice focused on broker-dealers
- Work at a regulator (e.g., the SEC, FINRA, or the CFTC) as part of a prominent legal/examination group focused on broker-dealers
- Work at an in-house legal department with a focus on broker-dealer and trading matters
- Deep knowledge of broker-dealer regulation with a particular depth of knowledge regarding retail brokerage issues, including margin, options, and securities lending
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
- US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
- US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
- US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We're looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you're ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we'd love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here (http://careers.robinhood.com/benefits) to learn more about Robinhood's Benefits.