The Multifamily Real Estate Department of the Legal Division of Freddie Mac (Legal MFRE) is seeking attorneys to join its legal staff as Assistant General Counsel, both in its Targeted Affordable Housing (TAH) group and in its Conventional group. The attorney will provide legal advice and counsel on a wide range of transactions and other matters related to the Multifamily Division’s business. We are seeking an attorney with a background in commercial real estate finance to work in a vibrant, collaborative, and mission-based environment.
Apply now and learn more about our benefits and why there’s #MoreAtFreddieMac!
Legal MFRE is essential to the Multifamily Division’s success in carrying out its mission to provide liquidity, stability, and affordability for the nation’s rental housing market. We support this mission through a broad range of legal work, including loan production, underwriting, and related activities; structured transactions; securitization due diligence; and asset management matters.
- Transactions: Serve as legal counsel, independently and/or assisting or collaborating with other attorneys, for Freddie Mac’s purchase and/or servicing of multifamily loans. This may include negotiating contracts/commitments and loan documents; reviewing and analyzing legal issues in connection with loan purchases, servicing transactions and other multifamily asset management and operational matters; and/or due diligence of real estate matters in connection with structured transactions or securitization.
- Initiatives/Policy/Lender Matters: Legal support for non-transactional matters, including: initiatives, product improvements and development; loan documents and forms, Guide updates and credit policy; costing and pricing matters; lender approvals and other counterparty matters; and multifamily research, marketing, and communications.
- Communication and Collaboration:
- Collaborating with peers to ensure consistency of legal advice and negotiating positions.
- Creating and maintaining effective relationships with business clients, with lenders from whom Freddie Mac buys multifamily mortgages and who service those mortgages, and with lawyers for those lenders.
- Drafting well-structured, complete and concise correspondence, legal analyses and documents for internal and external purposes.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- Membership in good standing in a state Bar
- At least 7 years of legal experience in commercial and/or multifamily real estate finance transactions with a law firm or corporate law department, including responsibility for negotiating and closing real estate finance transactions
- Strong legal analytical and writing skills
- Knowledge of the customary legal relationships, legal issues, and closing practices required for commercial and/or multifamily real estate transactions
- Familiarity with commercial real estate lender-borrower issues and the ability to negotiate resolution of the same
- Candidates with the following are especially encouraged to apply:
- Experience with the Agency/secondary multifamily mortgage market
- Experience with affordable housing finance, including tax-exempt finance (for the TAH group)
Keys to Success in this Role:
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work comfortably and routinely as part of a team and to collaborate across the organization
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple pending time-sensitive matters
- Ability to build and maintain strong collaborative relationships with colleagues, clients, and customers