The Assistant General Counsel protects Company legal interests and ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Conducts research and provides legal advice to business units, affiliated entities and/or corporate senior management, draws up contracts and may act as agent of the corporation in various transactions. Selects, oversees and critiques the work of outside litigation attorneys. Works with contracts administrators and assists the General Counsel in overseeing daily departmental operations. Works under limited direction.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts legal research, provides analyses and advises senior management on Company legal rights, obligations, and privileges. Ensures that assigned divisions comply with all legal requirements.
- Assists in defining/developing policies related to business and/or legal issues. Advises senior management and other staff on company policies, practices and procedures.
- Drafts and/or reviews contracts, negotiate complex agreements, intellectual property agreements to support complex technology solutions, Enterprise-level, SaaS contracts, leases, licenses, services and purchase/sales agreements and represents NEC in negotiations with other interests.
- Reviews statutes, legal decisions and the ordinances of quasi—judicial bodies and examines factual business data to assess legal risks/liability exposure for the Company.
- Handles dispute resolutions for assigned divisions. Selects outside attorneys once litigation has commenced. Provides company data and necessary backup information to outside attorneys and reviews/critiques their work.
- Prepares needed research on specific issues and makes recommendations to ensure company compliance with laws. Provides ad hoc information and formal reports as required.
- Keeps abreast of new laws and legal issues, analyzes their effect on Company operations and advises senior management and other staff as appropriate.
- Participates on special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor or the equivalent and successful completion of Bar Exam required for an understanding of laws and judicial process. Minimum of five years practical legal experience.
- Law firm and in-house experience a plus. Excellent negotiating and verbal/written communication skills and the ability to interact with all levels of management and staff also required.
- Ability to prioritize and undertake mission critical tasks, providing exceptional service to various stakeholders.
- Self-starter who understands how to work smart and execute with accuracy and attention to detail.
Knowledge and Skills:
Knowledge in any of the following areas are a plus:
Cloud Services, Intellectual Property, Employment, Privacy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate governance
Work Environment and Physical Demands -
- General Work Environment: General office environment.
- Noise: None required.
- Standing/Lifting: Up to 25 lbs.
- Visual: No special requirement.
- Stress: Able to work under moderate stress
- Travel: Able to travel as needed; up to 10 percent travel per year.
- Supervisory Responsibility, if any: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.